Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jchance

The loss of a favorite fly shop

As I was standing in my favorite local fly shop talking to the owner I realized that by the end of next month this wont happen anymore. My favorite fly shop is closing :( and although I have known this and I am sure it has happened to many of you I suddenly found myself very angry at the "outdoors" mega store that helped this happened. Ironically enough even the mega store is going out of business now. It seems it hung around just long enough to beat out 4 local fly shops then decided to close up. I realize there are probably some local clubs that I could join that would allow me some of the camaraderie I felt at this shop but frankly it wont be the same. There wont be any more stopping in a store and shooting the breeze about local news or events. No more first hand fishing reports or new tips on tying flies. All in all I have to say it sucks. Even worse is it leaves only one other some what local owned store open (that I have been informed of) and all of this in the 2 yrs I have been fishing this area.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

May sound like I dont sympathize with you but I do. Just be glad you had someplace and someone to talk face to face with about something ya like...I know there are lots of fly tiers / fishermen here where I live, but I have yet to meet any, so all my "learnin' " comes from the guys here on FTF

As I was standing in my favorite local fly shop talking to the owner I realized that by the end of next month this wont happen anymore. My favorite fly shop is closing :( and although I have known this and I am sure it has happened to many of you I suddenly found myself very angry at the "outdoors" mega store that helped this happened. Ironically enough even the mega store is going out of business now. It seems it hung around just long enough to beat out 4 local fly shops then decided to close up. I realize there are probably some local clubs that I could join that would allow me some of the camaraderie I felt at this shop but frankly it wont be the same. There wont be any more stopping in a store and shooting the breeze about local news or events. No more first hand fishing reports or new tips on tying flies. All in all I have to say it sucks. Even worse is it leaves only one other some what local owned store open (that I have been informed of) and all of this in the 2 yrs I have been fishing this area.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

If there's a silver lining on this sad event, it is this... There will be a very steep discount on the last of the inventory before he closes the doors. When a very nice fly shop near me went out of business just last spring, I helped ease the inventory by buying a Sage VT2, a fly rod display rack, a second landing net, some fly tying materials and a book on tying. Everything was 50-70% off :yahoo:

I know where you are coming from. There were 3 here in town (population 2500-3,000) when I moved here over twenty years ago, Today there are none. Two more have opened and failed during those years. We still have a tremendous out of area tourist trade but I guess they buy on the net or at the major chains. Sad but what can you do? I miss the Five and Dimes too, but the world moves on.

At least I was able to pick up some great items at great prices when they folded...especially from one that had been around since the '20s....got some fantastic antique materials that are sometimes hard to find.

One thing that does wrankles though is that new BAIT and Tackle store which is doing a thriving business judging from the cars parked there early AMs.

Same thing happening to Dave Goulet on the Farmington River in CT(Classic and Custom Fly Shop)....Dave has forty years in the business. Dave is a great fly designer and will be missed by many. See some of his flies in the excellent book Dick Talleur came out with Trout Flies for the 21st Century....

"I beg your pardon...I never promised you a rose garden."

I take it u r talking about sportsmen supply??

I never been their but heard good things

u hate to see any place close

FC

Sportsman's warehouse is one of the shops closing, unfortunately, but it's a smaller local shop I found not too long ago that is closing also. There are still two shops I have found out by the airport, gander mountain and another local shop. Selection isnt as good so Ill be buying off the internet a lot after April.

HOW ABOUT internation angler

you can not b J stockard for ordering

FC

Ill probably go to International Angler more than I have it isn't too far out of my way since I work outside of the Robinson area. Only thing about them is that they often dont have what Im looking for. But I should be ok on supplies for a little while. Im blowing a good portion of every pay Between the closing shops and resisting the feeling of being a vulture. Ive checked J stockard and a couple other places Ive seen recommended on the forums so I should be ok. Its more not having the same people to talk to at the stores that will bother me. My other option is I fish the Slippery rock a lot up by harlansburg so I could shoot up to the shop in Nesshanock (sp? I never can spell that) while Im up that way.

Ive just herd that Jim isnt closing the shop after all. I think he figures that with the warehouse closing,it will bring people back.

But i also just talked to chuck up at Ia. He is closing the aspenwall store and moving everything to the robinson store sometime in june

Ive just herd that Jim isnt closing the shop after all. I think he figures that with the warehouse closing,it will bring people back.

But i also just talked to chuck up at Ia. He is closing the aspenwall store and moving everything to the robinson store sometime in june

Made my day better thanks, hopefully it works out for him.