Fly Tying
Sampler

"The Green Hornet"

After lurking and commenting for a while now I figured I would post one of my own flies. Being out of the tying process for a while it's been a challenge and a reborn adventure for me. I hope you like it, I've modified and blended both my all time favorite Hornberg and the classic Woodman Special. Comment, suggestion welcome... Thank you

Picture155570-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments... still a little rough around the edges but with a little practice I should be abck on the horse in no time.

Now, If I only had more time..... :rolleyes:

I hope you like it, I've modified and blended both my all time favorite Hornberg and the classic Woodman Special.

Very nice. I recognized your influences in it immediately (although it's more usually called the "Woods Special"). Both are favorites of mine as well, and this makes an interesting variation.

May I ask about your photography? How do you set up for such a great photo? I am having trouble with that and could use some advice. What do you use as a background and what type of camera are you using? I have a Nikon D80 with several lenses, separate flash, etc. I have occasionally done photos of flies but have had inconsistent results with the close-ups and background. Any advice is appreciated.

May I ask about your photography? How do you set up for such a great photo? I am having trouble with that and could use some advice. What do you use as a background and what type of camera are you using? I have a Nikon D80 with several lenses, separate flash, etc. I have occasionally done photos of flies but have had inconsistent results with the close-ups and background. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the compliments... I currently have a D50, I used a basic auto exposure with a white piece of white as a backdrop (I also use scrap frame matting as well). I have an Ott-lite which I used for my main source of lighting. So basically nothing special. I trying something new every time just to see how it turns out. I'm often a pleasantly surprise.

Thanks for the response. Sorry for the delay but I didn't have my auto respose turned on. I'll try the white background. I do find sometimes that a constant lightsource rather than a flash works well on certain photos. I use a Daylight light for when I tie and I might just try that w/o the flash. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

If you are using a DSLR you can diffuse the built in flash by using a Styrofoam dinner plate. You need to cut a hole into the center of the Styrofoam plate large enough to fit over the lens, then slide the plate on, works great with Macro Photography. Another forum poster uses his microwave as a photo box, just make sure it's nice and clean and unplugged.