Fly Tying
dontheo

Fluorocarbon Tippet

I needed some 6x tippet material and was at the store today. I saw some fluorocarbon material and it cost 13.99 for 30 meters. I was carrying a little heavy (an old NJ term for extra cash in the pocket) so I said what the hell and bought it.

My question is does anyone think it really matters that much? I saw a thread on leader material and it made me wonder. I usually use Maxima Chameleon and have had good results.

Of course if I hit that big one this weekend I will be sold forever.

The Don

I think that is the one big secret that line manufactures don't want to get out. It prevents them from selling thier pretty little tippet spools at inflated prices. I know lots of people that use bulk floro for leader/tippet. Just respool an old tippet reel and your good to go.

I think it makes a difference, so do many guides I've spoken to about it. I use it for saltwater all the time and in freshwater for nymphs and streamers. I don't use it for drys, it is denser(?) than mono and will sink.

I agree, I think flouro makes a big difference. The price you paid for a 30M spool is ridiculous. You can find flouro for a lot less out there.

I would say it makes a difference, i mean if your in a tight spot it will do .. but the less you worry about what your using the more you can focus on the fish... and i gotta say steeladdict is right in sayin you paid too much... I've done it to..

Jake

for steelhead, it can play a very good role in your hookup rate. they get really line shy sometimes. two springs ago, me and my buddy were hooking 3 to everyone elses 1, and we were the only ones using 6lb flouro. when we stepped it down to 4, we got even more hookups, but quickly realized 4lb wasn't enough to keep em out of the rapids that is right downstream from the hole we were fishing, and switched back.

steve

I have to say it does make a difference. On both clear water and off color conditions.

For obvious reasons on clear water. But on off color it helps get the fly down and I like the added strength I get in bringing a fish out of fast moving water.

I agree with Paul (TB) not a good dry fly tippet.

I mostly carry flouro in 4x and 0x. 4x is my steelhead flouro and 0x is used for warm water. IMO I see no reason to carry flouro in anything less than 4x.

Its the same diameter as 6x but with the added strength. I can only see fishing 6x flour for midges. Climax has always been a good brand for me.

Some have had problems with knots coming undone. I just use a simple surgeons knot to attach it to my leader and a improved chinch knot to the hook.

Never had a knot slip on me. Have had hooks bend straight before the tippet breaks.

I try and buy it by the larger spools and just add them to the cute little tippet dispenser you get in a fly shop.

I just have to make sure I mark the spools correctly. ohmy.gif

I agree with the steelhead guys. I do use it steelhead fishing and it does make a difference. It is a bit high in cost, but if you have deep pockets (having money) then it is ok to buy whatever you want/need. I usually don't use it when warmwater fishing.

I've been using a fluorocarbon tippet when I fish recently but in the water I can still see it just as easily as the mono so I'm sure the fish can too. I think dia. is more important. Just my opinion dunno.gif

Ken cool.gif

My first post was a little unclear. Yes floro makes all the difference in the world, for GL steel. J. Johnson was clearer on the point that I was trying to make. Buy larger spools at a reduced price (per foot/meter) and respool an old tippet spool. You can save big $$$ that way.

Art

Couple of quick questions:

Are we talking about bulk spools of the same brands as the little spools such as Rio, Airflo, Orvis etc..

Or are we talking about buying spools of Berkley, Trilene, etc... and putting it on the small spools.

Or are we saying that the same people that make Berkely, Trilene, etc... make flouro for Rio, Airflo, Etc.

Just wondering.

Thanks for the help,

Chip