Fly Tying
ffisher15

Organizing fly boxes

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how all you organize your fly boxes? Like what flys do you put in which box. ex. streamer box, nymphs, river nymphs etc.

Well i guess it depends on how many flies you have and how technical you want to get. I have seen boxes of on single pattern tied in many different colors and sizes take up a whole box. my boxes right now are set up very general since i do not have a lot of flies tied yet. Dry, nymph, soft hackle, streamer, bass. These are my boxes. hope that helps

Here is how I do mine. Dry flies, in boxes by size. I have 1 box marked larger than 10. This will have hoppers, hexs, stoneflies, crickets, cicadas, and assorted other big drys. One box each for size 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18. These are pretty much just may fly patterns. Then I have two small boxes with just midge patterns. Nymphs are aslo in boxes sorted by size, again, the same system is used, I have a box full of big nymphs, for stonefly nymphs, black, brown, golden, and grey crane fly nymphs, and a few others. Then I have 3 other nymph boxes one for 10, 12, one for 14, 16, and one for 18, and midges. I have 4 boxes for streamers and leaches sorted by color. Thats just my trout flies. I have Steelhead, and Salmon fly boxes also. These are simply sorted by nymphs, streamers, and eggs. Then I have 3 large 9 X 12 storage boxes where I keep my overstock (what ever won't fit in the working boxes.) I keep the off season flies in the storage boxes until I need to swap them into some of my working boxes. I generally use two of the streamer boxes for Salmon fishing after switching the patterns from the storage boxes.

Here is how I do mine. Dry flies, in boxes by size. I have 1 box marked larger than 10. This will have hoppers, hexs, stoneflies, crickets, cicadas, and assorted other big drys. One box each for size 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18. These are pretty much just may fly patterns. Then I have two small boxes with just midge patterns. Nymphs are aslo in boxes sorted by size, again, the same system is used, I have a box full of big nymphs, for stonefly nymphs, black, brown, golden, and grey crane fly nymphs, and a few others. Then I have 3 other nymph boxes one for 10, 12, one for 14, 16, and one for 18, and midges. I have 4 boxes for streamers and leaches sorted by color. Thats just my trout flies. I have Steelhead, and Salmon fly boxes also. These are simply sorted by nymphs, streamers, and eggs. Then I have 3 large 9 X 12 storage boxes where I keep my overstock (what ever won't fit in the working boxes.) I keep the off season flies in the storage boxes until I need to swap them into some of my working boxes. I generally use two of the streamer boxes for Salmon fishing after switching the patterns from the storage boxes.

Man you have alot of flies. Feel free to send me whatever overstock you have. Let me know and i'll PM you my address. :rolleyes:

Jeremy

One Box of Nymphs

One streamer box (Bugger Barn)

One box of "go to" dries -- an assortment of flies that are consistent winners, sparkle duns, comparaduns, elk hair caddis, stimulators, cripple emergers

One Box of tiny dries

One box of "regular dries"

The first three boxes get the most workout. The other two are there "just in case", but I suppose I could do without them.

Mine are divied up according to where and what... as in, where I'll be fishing and what kind of fish I expect to find.

For example: one box for the Smokies (few patterns, all know producers, lightweight and small for the hike in, etc.)

Bluegill/panfish box, a medium size, double-sided Plano.

Largemouth box.

Smallie/bream box for fishing the warmwater creeks. This has my crayfish, hellgrammites, etc. for the bass, plus a good assortment of smaller flies that will work on the bluegill, redear, and green sunfish.

A small box dedicated to carp flies.

A large box for muskie flies, which is fine in a boat, but when on foot- annoying and cumbersome (still working on that arrangement).

For the trout- one for small stream work that holds my favorite or hatch-type dries, nymphs, wet flies. I have a seperate streamer box, mainly cause I like 'em a lot. This I'll also carry to the big trout waters, along with a nymph box (which includes some wets and soft hackles), dry fly hatch match box, and a smaller dries and midge box.

For the back-stock, I have lots of Plano organizer boxes and a couple of those big utility storage things with lots of drawers (the ones made to put screws, bolts, etc. in).

This is, in essence, a fine example of organized chaos! But that's part of the fun!

heres how mine r at the moment.

nymphs-1 Scientific anglers system x box double compartment.

General dries-Wulffs,march browns,etc-1 box

Hatch specific dries-1 Double compatment box

Chironimids(midges)dry,emerger,wet-1 box

Wooly buggers-1 box

Terrestials-1 box

Works in progress for the season-1 box,half filled

Hope that helps

I fish mostly small streams to annoy Brook trout, so I tend to carry fewer boxes. one for nymphs, one for streamers/soft hackles, one for dries, and one for terrestrials.

Around home ("gill/smallmouth territory) I have a specific box for each.

I like the Bug Luggage boxes.

My "resupply stash" is stored in a lot of plastic compartment boxes my wife gets from work (dentist office.)

I organize them by the areas or species that I fish.

I have a lake/pond trout box. I have a Battenkill box. I have a small streams box (which is also my panfish box and covers cold water and warm water small stream). I have a Pike/Large Bass box.

I have way more flies than I'll ever use and I have tons of boxes. I keep adding boxes for new species/fly types etc. At the moment I have

steelhead flies-bugger barn

steelhead flies-orvis compartment box (won in silent auction)

pike/musky flies-bugger beast

assorted dries (stuff from swaps that I don't know what they are)-orvis box

bass flies-plastic worm case, experiment, going to see if I like it or not

bass flies-pencil case with foam

wooly buggers-plano single sided fly box

terrestrials-c&f small insert

elk hair caddis-c&f small insert

carp flies-single sided TU box

classic wets and soft hackles-wooden fly box

nymphs-orvis fly box

bluegill- largeish modified plano box

That about does it. Then I've got tons of flies in "storage" waiting for a box to be put in. I've got a huge hodge podge of boxes that I'm trying out. As long as I have something to put the flies I need in to bring with me, I'm all set.

So far...

Dry Flies-Orvis Lightweight floating fly box

Nymphs-Dragonfly zipper fly box

Streamers-some fly box i don't know the name of....

i really want to get the system X fly boxes and inserts they look way cool

I buy these cheap plastic boxes that have 24 compartments in them at the dollar store. I have a couple for nymphs, a couple for dries, a couple for yarn eggs, one for buggers and worms, one for wets. I then keep all flies seperated by size, colour etc. these large boxes are $2 at the dollar store here. When I'm going fishing, I simply stock my small pocket boxes with what I'll need that day. This is easier as the hatches, species etc change through the season. It took me a year to get dozens of each fly but now I'm at teh point where I only replace flies as they run low. Like a mini-store. I tie commercially so supplementing my own flies is easy to do. For every dozen I tie for the store, I tie myself a couple. they add up fast this way.

I have one box. For now. The way I organize mine is pretty simple. One side has Nymphs, drys and wets the other side holds my Streamers and such. I usually put them in order from small to large from left to right. I am hoping to get a few more boxes though this year as I start tying a bit more. When I do it will then be one for wets dries nymphs, streamers and terrestrials.

The other thing I do is if possible is if the box is plastic. I use some model railroad glue called plastistrut to actually put a plastic loop for a lanyard on the box. This stuff actually welds the plastic to the box. No more giving boxes to the Trout Gods of the Rivers!

If they are foam...well...I use a needle and Thread and some old 550 parachute cord and sew in a loop. stuf doesnt rot or mildew so it is perfect. may look wierd but hey. i dont loose my boxes! lol