Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Lead Wire Question

I was wondering. Is there a lead wire size to hook size ratio or do you just use different guages of lead wire to determine how fast you want your wet fly sink?

it will depend on the pattern. If you are tying a pattern with a large body you can probably get away with larger. Most recipies will normally include the diameter of wire used. To get similar results I would

use the same guage if at all posible. When in doubt always err to the smaller size.

Hope this helps, Fred

The generic standard is to choose lead wire equal to the thickness of the hook shank.

But, like Fred said, it often depends on the pattern. Also, many folks have distinct preferences and will use wire to weight accordingly, with many preferring to weight on the lighter side of the generic standard. Still others prefer not to use any weight at all and to instead put weight on the leader to get the fly down.

-- Mike

I almost hate giving advice on lead since I have been trying to cut down on how much I use but since I have been tying Czech nymphs I have been using again. Maybe try using flat lead strips or cut narrow strips off the adhesive backed lead sheets and wrap layer on layer until you get the desired amount/effect. That way you don't have to worry about the wire being too largefor your hook?

I frankly never gave it much precision in my thinking. I use size .020 lead free for most anything I'm tying and if I want it heavier then I add a second layer. I started tying czech nymphs and have been using the lead ribbons on those flies and have started to use them on others.

Go Czechs, go go! :yahoo:

I strongly recommend using flat lead for the bigger/heavily weighted patterns. You cover more hook space with a single turn (i.e. work faster) and you avoid the empty spaces caused by the wire being round. You can add a second or even third layer if you desire so - this is 2 layers, in my opinion quite a heavie .

olovofd6.jpg

make this a bookmark

LEAD WIRE TO HOOK SIZING CHART

Weight: Lead wire, sized appropriately for the hook.

.035- hook sizes 4 and bigger

.030-hook sizes 6 and 4

.025-hook sizes 6 through 10

.020-hook sizes 12 and 14

.015-hook sizes 14 and 16

.010-hook sizes 18 and smaller

if you lose this, a good guideline is that the lead wire is roughly the diameter of the hook shank

Is there a non-toxic substitute for the flat lead? Lead can not be used in my area.

Yes lead free is available and in the sizes above.. I checked J Stockard, but they don't carry it... So here is a link to Feather Craft, they have it

Lead free at Feather craft

I'm going to try my hand at tying a crayfish pattern. The hook size is a 6. I was thinking of using a lead free wire that I saw on J Stockard. I tied up a prototype last night using a thick copper wire just to see if I would have trouble tying this pattern. I have to tinker a little bit with the tail design :) I'm was going to use a .020 wire, but flytires chart (Just what I was looking for. Thank you) may have changed my mind on my choice. Since the lead free wire is 40% lighter I'll most likely use .030 wire. Besides I want to make the body just a little thicker. I'll post a photo later tonight of the pattern for input. :)

I use unleaded wire. J Stockard carries it http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/T...-Free-Wire.html . I haven't use any leaded wire, but I doubt that this stuff is as heavy inch-for-inch as the same diameter as lead. I have .015, .025, and .035. I use the heaviest size I think I can get by with without distorting the profile of the fly.