Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Sage Xi2 Series

Has anyone tried Sage's Xi2 rod, specifically in a 9wt? I am still pretty set on a G Loomis Cross Current GLX, but wonder how it compares with this model from Sage. They both are around the same price, so which is the better rod?? I know the best thing to do is try them for myself, but it will be a few weeks before I get back down to the coast.

Thanks,

-Jim

I have not tried or heard anything yet either. I am interested in hearing about them as well. I have an XP and love it. Hope to hear something.

I love my XP as well, but I hate the Xi2. I cast a few rods at a fly fishing show, and I liked the T &T 9 wt the best. The Loomis rod will probably be good based on the usual performance of Loomis rods. You might give the T & T a try, though. I was stunned at how easy it boomed a line out while I had to struggle with the Sage Xi2, and it had a weird feel when I cast it.

I had 2 days at the Charlotte fly show to test 10 weights. Me and a buddy cast every one at the show, or so we thought. When all was said and done and we were leaving the show I had it down to a T&T and the Loomis GLX, then someone forced a St. Croix Legend Elite in my hands.

That is the rod I now own for a 10 weight. I was amazed it out-performed all of those other higher priced brands.

As for the Xi2, it made a big splash just after it came out and that was about it. I don't know why but very little is posted about it on all of the boards that I prowl.

The usual disclaimer applies, cast as many rods as you can in the weight you're looking for and the best rod for you will be apparent.

Sign in to follow this