Fly Tying
airedale

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

How Many Flies do You Have?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Waaaay too many to actually count. Certainly in the thousands, probably less than 10,000.

I'd estimate between 4000 to 5000 total. Many I've tied and a lot I've bought over the last 40 or so years. I'd hate to guess what percent have never seen water. Seems I always fish with the same old tried and true patterns.

Dave

I have around 3000 not counting the ones I am getting ready to send out. After my I supply my brother, and my neice and nephew, I will have about 1500 or so left. I actually went all year without tying on any trips. I am trying to be ready for what ever comes, without stay up nights on fishing trips tying for the next day.

The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me :lol: But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me :hyst: I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies :j_k:

I counted this morning and I have...

185 flies in my personal flybox.

174 flies in my selling box.

12 of my hand-tied jigs in my personal fly box.

76 of my jigs in my selling box.

All in all I have 447. :headbang: But thats not counting store-bought flies. :D

I probably had 300 flies total before I started tying. Now I have 1,000s of flies, probably half or more are nymphs. Every time I tie a new pattern that I like, I'll tie at least a half dozen.

Of course I don't carry that many when fishing, just a few of each pattern and all the extras are stored in Plano divider boxes in a soft sided tackle bag.

The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me :lol: But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me :hyst: I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies :j_k:

You won't save any money, but the joy and satisfaction of tying is very much worth it :yahoo:

You all got me thinking about this. Now just realize this picture is mainly from swaps here on the site. Tells what happens for being around for so long. From the very first swap that was held till now.

Not in picture are the thousands i've tied ,kept or given away.

atroutbum2 you won't believe how many from you and others that i have per taken with in swaps. Several same names , toe tags still on most.

post-72-1238298505_thumb.jpg

tt

I tie for a local shop here, but I can't say that they are in my collection because they will be sold.

I don't keep a lot of my flies and so I must say that I have under 250 flies. I think I will start to concentrate on tying fishing flies for myself because I guide in the summer and it's always good to have an inventory of flies.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread.

SheZ

I give away, trade or sell virtually all my flies... I'm almost always scraping the barrel. I'm packing for a 4 day backcountry fishing trip right now and will have to spend the weekend tying to make sure I have enough to fill a box...

I have about 250. I knew my fly collection was small, but wow . . . some of you have 25,000!

So the question I have . . . What do you do with all those flies??? I don't know that I would ever fish 25,000 flies. Are they patterns you use? Pattern that you tied for fun and never use??

I basically restarted my collection about a month ago however I am now upto about 100 or so. Not that many just a few patterns for the South Platte in Colorado.

I honestly dont see the need for all the flies you guys have. I keep a small box of about 100 flies TOPS. If I need more then that it's cause Im goin on a trip, and I want to make sure I have enough flies so Im not at the fly shop each day buyin flies. I think it all comes down to one thing....us guys really are obsessed with size. :hyst: