Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ohfisherman

1st fly!

Hey thats a great first try! I can't say much about it other than practice, practice. A couple more of those and you'll have 'em down.

Hi OHF, That will play. A bit of constructive criticism, the body and hackle look a little loose. a wee bit more tension. Keep at it, post and ask questions. You are doing fine.

Cheers, Futzer.

No reason it shouldn't catch fish, bu I agree with Futzer, looks a little loose. Here are few other pointers. Your tail looks like you used the very tip of the marabou feather. Remember that the whole feather is usable, the fluffy part of the feather is what your after for tails on a wooly bugger. The hackle is tied in by the butt (thicker end,) it should be tied in by the tip end, so the taper increases towards the head of the fly. You stated that the marabou came in a kit, so I assume that your other materials and hooks also came with the kit. The wooly bugger is usually tied on a hook with a longer than standard shank, either 3 or 4 times longer than a standard hook.

As you start to re-supply your hooks, read the information on the hook packaging. In addition to size (a measure of the hook gap,) hooks come in different length shanks, and different weight wires. In any given size, which is indicated by a number anywhere from 1 to 30 there will be information on the label about what length and wire weight differences that particular hook has. These are indicated by an system of numbers followed by some letters. For an example, a Tiemco 100 hook in size 12 is a standard length with a 1xf (one extra fine wire.) A Tiemco 5262 size 12 will be a 2xl, 2xh. This means the hook gap (distance between the shank and the point) will be the same on both hooks. The 5262 will have a longer shank, and a heavier wire. The shank length would be the same length of a standard hook two sizes larger, in this case an 8. This 5262 hook is also on a wire that is the same as a standard wire used on a hook two sizes larger.

You can find various charts on the Internet, that describe the different models and compare different brands. I have downloaded several of these, PM me if you would like some copies.

Thank you for the pointers on the woolie. I was thrilled that it turned out the way it did. I am sure the more practice I get the better the quality will be.

As for the video, I have watched it many times as I seem to pick up something new each time. I have bought a bobbin threader, whip finisher and another pair of scissors in addition to what came in the kit.

i too started with this kit and it got me hooked, i went and bought the bass video also so i could try and spin some deer hair, well i actually had to get a new vise because my jaws started to get messed up but other then that no compaints about the kit, well keep up the practice next in line is the pheasant tail and hairs ear

I actually bought a vice before I got the kit. Originally I had thought to tie jigs but went to Bass Pro and well ended up with the trout kit. A couple weeks later, bought the bass dvd. The only problem that I had is that the scissors had a defect at the tip and had to buy a new pair.

nice job. It looks nice and clear around the eye of the hook. You could hardy tie my first flies on the leader due to the big gobbs of material and thread around the head. Keep it up it is a great start