Fly Tying
josh shock

Anyone using large streamers for smallies?

I am looking to increase my variety of flies for smallmouth. I usually take them on smaller streamers and crawfish patterns. I am wondering if some folks are using large streamers or attractor patterns. This year, I am looking for better smallmouth waters and maximizing what little time I have to go out. Not to mention I land few smallmouth - mostly kentuckies and bream on these Ozark streams.

Dahlberg Flashdancers in differant color combinations size 1 3366 hooks, decievers size 1, bunny flies up to size 1/0 Empie Goldies, wool head rattlin' streamers in size 1 and 1/0.

I fish many "small streams" in Central and Eastern Kentucky. I have had great success with flies sz 2 and larger in a lot of waters. A go to pattern is a regional craw pattern (a Clouser hybrid tied with felt instead of furry foam). I sometimes dredge a sz 1 along sandy bottoms, especially early in the morning and late in the evening ...very effective. I have also discovered 3 and 4 inch bunny hellgrammite patterns can be deadly, even on smaller fish. Its a simple pattern borrowed from Smalliehunter several years ago. Big hair frogs , and I mean "BIG", have produced many trophy smallies and bucketmouths in these same "small streams"

Guest rich mc

my smallie flies get bigger every year.double bunny streamers, blanton's flashtail whistlerand synthetic clousers . rich

What is you definition of big? Ill use up to a 6 inch streamer for smallies.

I primarily use big flies for any bass, Smallmouths, LMB, or Striped Bass. Mostly in the 3 to 6 inch long range. For Smallmouths specifically, I go smaller on some streams when I see the need, but most of the time start & stick with bigger offerings.

My main Smallmouth flies are Clousers, Bunny Strips, Deceivers, Seaducers, and Dahlberg Divers, with Sneaky Pete's & Gurglers for topwater. Although I enjoy experimenting too, and have a wide variety of flies in my boxes. I also have some traditional type streamers & bucktails, various large nymphs, large foam flies like Chernobyl Ants & Triple Deckers, and some smaller trout size flies for smaller streams.

The majority of my Smallmouth flies range in size from 6 up to 3/0, and I probably use 1/0's the most.

If you fish various waters that have different conditions, it's not a bad idea to have a wide range of fly sizes covering whatever prey is available. If the waters are very similar, then you can limit the flies, and go with whatever is the primary forage size at the time of year you're fishing.

I've caught smallmouths before with shad sticking out of their gullets that had to be 9" or 10". That being said, you'll need one heck of a casting arm to throw it, and don't plan on catching many.

my smallie flies get bigger every year.double bunny streamers, blanton's flashtail whistlerand synthetic clousers . rich

I'm laughing because that has been my experience as well. I read an article a couple of years ago about how large a lure a fish will hit in relation to its size. Applying that to flies, it seems to work the same way - I am catching larger fish with the bigger offerings, but the smaller guys will attack it as well. Don't be afraid to try larger sizes and see how it works.

This time of year in a smallie stream I don't think you can get them too big. Big and heavy. Big streamers worked along the bottom can get you some hawgs.