Fly Tying
Old Hat

Tied-Down Caddis

Thanks all. This is a pattern that has been around for a while that I consider one of those lost patterns that just got replaced over time. I use to fish them a lot with great success and decided to resurrect a place for them in my box.

Terje! - your fly, The Animal, reminded me of this pattern when you posted it. It is tied very similar in method. Fished similar in method, just rides a bit different in the water.

Is this an imitation of an adult caddis fly or a nymph?

Jan

Hi Jan, I have wondered the same. I think represents the caddis as it approaches the water surface with it's wings folded over and ready to emerge or a crippled caddis in the water film..it floats level with the legs struggling under the surface. Also, I think it works well as a scud or beetle pattern with a few material adjustments.

It is deadly in high mountain lakes.

Very nicely tied fly.... neat, clean and simple I'll bet it catches fish..... I'll be tying a few of these! Doug.

The use of deer hair as a shell back is really interesting, especially on a nymph.

I would add a bead head to it, also, I would say this is more of a mayfly imitation than caddis.

Thanks for the comments. I really don't think of it as a nymph. It may work weighted but is designed to represent the crippled or stuck caddis where the wings have not been able to free themselves. Fished with dry fly tactics it rides just under the water's surface. Tied short and fat it also makes a nice beetle imitation.

Great old Northwest pattern. Well tied too. My first fly-caught trout came on one of those. It works fished either dry or wet.