Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lytle

Tools that you use that ARNT from flytying.

[

I make some cork bodied bugs, so I have a few tools for that. Hacksaw blade for cutting the hook slot, shaft mounted grindstone for hollowing out the head, crochet needle for putting in rubber legs. Wooden kitchen skewer for applying head cement, plastic wood for filling voids in cork.

A little velcro on a stick for a brush

A 35mm camera film tube w/holes in the lid and steel wool inside to clean my bodkin

old thread spools for wrapping my larva lace

This thread is giving me all kind of new ideas

Like DAP, I'm a luckey boy. My wife works in a dental office as an AQP.

I use the root canal bits as dubbing rougher-uppers,

pics of course to pick out dubbing and legs,

dental floss,

those loooong nose tweezers whose jaws close parrallel- use like a Magic Tool.

I also have a couple of bodkins made from needles with handles made with handles made from buffalo teeth.

I use lots of magnets around the bench, good for all sorts of stuff.

Although not a "tool", lots of babyfood jars for storing dubbing.

I have a 6" metal rule glued to my desk below my vise.

I also have one of those cook book holders to hold open any book or magazine I need to refer to.

When you think about it, we're pretty cheap.

1. Eight-inch piece of 17 lb. mono folded in half = bobbin threader

2. Disposable nylon brush, bristles cut at an angle = dubbing rougher-upper (toothbrush trimmed does the same job better on bigger flies)

3. Needle with a mono loop attached to the end = for inserting rubber legs through foam popper bodies and an aid in knotting pheasant tail fibers for hopper legs

4. Toothpicks marked for measuring or symmetry.

5. Large art clip for holding materials to be inserted in a dubbing loop (ie. clip a fur strip or feather by the hairs/barbs, trim away hide or stem, insert into the loop and away you go with fibers perfectly aligned!)

6. (my personal favorite) A clear Bic pen with the ink insert removed = hair packer, hair/hackle guard (push back on the fibers, throw a half hitch around the tapered front end of the pen casing, it slides right off precisely in front of the hair/hackle without catching any fibers... beautiful!)

And of course lots of homemade tools.

Made a dubbing hook out of a large paper and a coffee straw; I use it when I can't find the one I purchased. My dubbing brush is a popsicle with velcro.

I bought a couple of packages of those dumbbell-looking metal eyes and a pack of 3D Eyes a few days ago. The 3D Eyes were a pain to remove from the card they came on and a bigger pain to get stuck onto the metal dumbbells. I went to the trusty toolbox and found a piece of scrap heat-shrink tubing that just fit over the "cornea" of the 3D eyes. Press down, give a little twist, and the eye will stay lightly adhered to the heat-shrink. You can put those eyeballs just where you need them with minimal hassle. If you want to use some Zap-a-Gap gel on the dumbbells for some extra stick, you can get a smaller piece of tubing to fit inside the outer tubing to push the eyeball onto the Zap-a-Gap. I got the heat shrink in an assortment pack from Radio Shack.

Cheers!

neoFLYte

Austin TX

Guest rich mc

reading of the heat shrink tubing reminded me of a trick i heard. instead of glueing posted plastic eyes together use the tubing the size of the post to connect them. then you can make them wider apart if needed. normally i cut off one stem and glue the eye to the other stem. rich

Everything everyone else said plus

Cross cut saw.

Vise Grips.

Pipe Wrench.

Masonary Chisel.

Sledge Hammer.

Impact Wrench.

Yea...My flies may be a little big....Is that a Goose?