Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Trout fishing western NC in August

My wife and I would like to do some trout fishing soon, so I looked into finding a guide in western NC. Her parents live in Hendersonville, which ends up being about 15 miles from Davidson River. This river is ranked on Orvis' top 100 trout streams, so I figure it must be decent. Davidson River Outfitters is located nearby and offers half day wading trips for $200 (covers both of us and equipment). Is anyone famaliar with this outfitter or the area? Is it worth going in August or should we wait until October/November? We were considering the weekend of August 6th.

Thanks,

-Jim

Jim,

DRO is an excellent fly shop and some very nice and helpful people. If I were you I'd call the shop and ask about the usual conditions in August. I was there last week and it was tough. Only found a couple of fish rising and those had no interest in any of my offerings. The Davidson is a very good trout stream, but it is also a very technical stream to fish. Small flies and good presentations are the rule.

Some of the streams in the upper elevations may be a good bet for you. Brookies are fun to catch and if you don't spook them, the'll hit big bushy dry flies. My go-to fly for brookies is a #14 yellow stimulator.

I'll be going up again the third week of October (16th to the 23rd) if you want to meet up then, let me know.

Kevin howell and the staff at the davidson river outfitters at straight up folks. If there are trout to be found they will know. Also they have a good line on smallies in then French Broad. and at times offer drift boat fishings through the biltmore estate a great ride.

Irish

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead a book the half day. Brook trout might be a better bet for us since my wife has never fly fished before and I have never fly fished for trout.

TroutBum, keep me posted on your trip in October. If I get some gear and you can handle fishing with a rookie, I'll probably be interested.

-Jim

No problem, Jim. I don't mind fishing with a rookie as long as he brings the beer. cool.gif

Don't worry too much about gear, I travel well equipped and anything you don't have I will.

Maybe we can bribe Irish into a Smallie trip. (hint) tongue.gif

Hey Troutbum,

How far is that from Raleigh/Durham.... I may be down that way for a job interview in October, perhaps I could pack the fly rod....

'Nix

Nix,

Raleigh is a couple of hundred miles away from Brevard which is 30 miles or so south od Asheville. You're more than welcome to join us. I post my travel plans here several weeks beforehand, so pay attention. cool.gif

A smallie trip may be doable. I'll check when troutbum posts his plans.

Irish

Dave uses 7 wt. rods for Smallies. The flies are heavily weighted and anything lighter would dislocate your shoulder after a couple of hours. When I went fishing with him, I was going to use my 5 wt. and I'm glad he talked me out of it. You might get away with a 6 wt. but it would have to have some backbone.

Jim,

as troutbum said, I use 7wt rods and decent reels. I have some Ross reels and also some BPS reels, and a fly logic. Even a Scientific anglers system II. I look for something that is durable and can survive a duncking and still keep working.

The rods are Sage Graphite II's that I got a god deal when I bought them. They are blanks that I built. With these rods, i can take a 4 inch clouser minnow and throw it 30 plus feet with out false casting. The same with 4 inch Dahlberg divers.

Smallies will give you a good pull on these roda and you can cast them all day and not be dead at the end of the day. Also they will handle the trophy smallies and i have even landed a legal muskie a 32 inch beauty a few years ago.

If I were to purchase a new smallie rd, I would wait until this winter when St Croix comes out with the new 8 wt Clouser rod.

I had the pleasure of fishing Bob this past June and he had the latest prototype with him. I worked the rod and it is the sweetest thing since good mircobrew beer.

I tried to get the rod to "fall in the river", but bob said he had to send it back with his comments which were to put the rod into production.

I have given up a couple of beers per week and am banking the change in order to purchase one of these rods.

Irish

I'll add a 7wt set up to my "wish list", right after the 3wt for mountain trout. Hell, I still haven't decided on a reel for my 9wt set up...

I booked a trip this morning with DRO for 8/6. The plan is to do a half day wading trip on the Davidson. The report is that the water is a little churned up from rain, so people are catching some nice trout with the decreased visibility.

I'll definitely post a trip report when I get back. Hopefully with pictures of me holding large trout!!

-Jim

Sign in to follow this