Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pelhament

The Ewock (spinner bait imitation)

This a great looking fly. Thanks for the submission. I tried one out over the weekend and had some trouble tying in the skirt. Could you share some insites about attaching the skirt. I know there has to be some kind of trick but this is my first attempt with any kind of bass lures or flies.

This a great looking fly. Thanks for the submission. I tried one out over the weekend and had some trouble tying in the skirt. Could you share some insites about attaching the skirt. I know there has to be some kind of trick but this is my first attempt with any kind of bass lures or flies.

Thanks man. The skirt is actually pretty easy once you get it figured out. I find the mid point of the skirt and tie it in there making 2-3 thread wraps around the skirt evenly distributing the rubber strands around the hook shank. The stripping action will cause the strands that are point forward to double back over themselves and point backwards. Here is an drawing I did in Paint that hopefully helps.

post-4153-1240848574_thumb.png

If you are fishing pretty deep water, I would use a sinktip at least.

Another question for ya Pelhament, Which cut of rabbit fur do you use? Crosscut, zonked, magnum?

Crosscut, the thinnest I can find. The magnum doesn't provide the action of the thinner cuts.

Yes, a sink tip, or a full sinker which I prefer, is necessary to fish deep for most of my weighted and unweighted wet flies. The weight on most of my flies are a constant battle between sink rate and castibility. The weight on this provides a few purposes, eyes, hook point position, and lastly weight.

I like it with Estaz as well, but I am sticking with the bunny fir for now! A little more action.