Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TnTom

All Thumbs Copper John

Tried my hand at the Copper John.

Matching a Mr. Barr Copper John is quite some way down the road for sure. Proportion proportion proportion. :blink: I used some wire I stripped from an old lamp cord and isn't real bright. I think the next few I tie Ill stripe it through it some 2000 grit and shine it up first. I need to shorten up the wings and the tail to.

post-15401-1238804810_thumb.jpg

post-15401-1238805043_thumb.jpg

Another good one.

I especially like the detail in describing the rigging of the H/C/D ,John Barrs (Hopper - Copper - Dropper) system and how to set up the leader and tippet. I have had some difficulty in the past keeping it untangled. Great tips on how to rig the Copper John.

Thanks

Tom

Looks good! The Copper has become my go-to fly, so I tie it in many varieties. Recently Curusso sent me some quail feathers died yellow, which gave me this idea:

DSC06268.jpg

A 'Gold John'. I've tied a few now, and am looking forward to seeing what the trout think about it in a month or two, as soon as the ice and ash go away.

Looks good! The Copper has become my go-to fly, so I tie it in many varieties. Recently Curusso sent me some quail feathers died yellow, which gave me this idea:

DSC06268.jpg

A 'Gold John'. I've tied a few now, and am looking forward to seeing what the trout think about it in a month or two, as soon as the ice and ash go away.

That looks really interesting. What the smallest hook you have used on the John?

Had to look and see where you hang your hat when I saw ice and ash. Just saw some more on the news a few minutes ago. I was attending West high when the quake hit

years ago. At that time the volcano was sound asleep.