Fly Tying
iso18

Do you Rib your wolly buggers?

rib or no rib  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Generally, I do for longetivity. I use heavy thread, wire and lately, Shane Stalcups' Glitter Rib...

Pt/TB <_<

I have not ribbed through a woolly bugger or woolly worm in almost 30 years. For trout of all kinds, salmon of many kinds, bass of all kinds, panfish of all sorts, and everything else I've caught on them, I have VERY rarely had a broken hackle. I normally use a chenille body and wrap the hackle tight. It is well protected as-is. I honestly can not remember the last time I had a broken hackle. If you look through my fly boxes, you will find a LOT of woolly buggers, I fish them all the time.

That's just me, and what has worked in my experience.

For me it really depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.

Interesting, and good thread. I usually do rib, but I think I would like to remove that step and try hackle only, or worse case scenario heavy thread if I felt the need on that particular fly application.

I do not rib my buggers either. For many reasons, I do not find it make a difference for fishing. I have never had a hackle break, and if I do I will just toss on another one from my box, then retie it when i get home. Also I do not like the look of the ribbing. However I use to rib my buggers with tinsel because I thought the flash would be nice. I am slowing letting the trees take those off of me.

I do not feel the need to put an extra step in the tying process even though it only takes 10 seconds.

Hi Group,

Gretchen and I tie all of our bugger (and many other patterns) backward thus ending up at the end of the shank where all the materials get tied off. The last thing we do is wrap the tying thread forward over the body then apply a whip-finish at the hook eye. So yes, we end up ribbing all of our buggers (so to speak) with the tying thread. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I actually dont even add the hackle a lot of times. I usually just use crystal chenille, and it seems like i catch more fish without it.