Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

wading boots

Now that I have a decent pair of waders, I need some info/opinions regarding wading boots. I have a site, curtesy of a forum member, that has great prices and deals on stuff (seirratradingpost.com). I have heard that felt soles are not a good idea cuz of transfering bad stuff from water to water. Therefore I am eliminating them from the running. So how are "cleats" and rubber and any other types that I may not have heard of? Also, how do I go about sizing for them? My waders are really big, long, loose, with a lot of excess footie. I would normally wear a 10 and a half in boots, but I dont think ordering according to my normal size would be too bright....Any opinions or advice from the forum sages?!?!?

thanks, Murray :unsure: :help:

Murray

I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions. I struggled with this same question when I finally bought a new pair of wading boots. I bought Cabela's ultralight wading boots and ordered them one size larger than normal. They work fine. I was worried at first because they seemed too large. But if you are wading in cold water then you'll want a little room for wool socks and the one size over thing worked well. As far as cleats and rubber, I dunno. I've got the felt stuff. Hope I'm not contagious! So there's another two cents worth. Good luck.

Spike

You'll want to order one size up. I am a size 10 1/2 regularly and wear a size 11 wading boot. It's best to try a few boots first to make sure. I don't like felt either because it can carry algae, parasites and diatoms from one stream to the next. I won't go into details on the subject but being careless about cleaning your gear can cause major problems.

I'm also not a fan of cleated boots, if for no other reason than I think it tears up the banks and streambed.

The best thing I've found is Aquastealth rubber. It looks like a normal rubber sole, but it has much more gripping power. In fact if it's too slick to wade with aquastealth....well it's just too darn slick to wade. I think it's better than felt in that it doesn't collect particles from the streambed. It's easier to clean and easy to keep clean. As far as I know Korkers is the only brand that uses aquastealth but I'm sure there are others. I personally use the Korkers Streamborn boot. It has lots of support but feels more like a hiking boot than a heavy wading boot. I can hike several miles when fishing, and I'm never bothered by the korkers. The ability to switch soles (aquastealth, felt, cleated), is a nice feature, but one I haven't really used. I've just stuck with the aquastealth. Oh, one more thing, the korkers come with a trail sole and felt sole when you buy them, you have to purchase the aquastealth seperate.

Simms uses something very similar called Stream Tread, but I'm not familiar with it. If I remember right, Simms was even trying to do away with felt soles and go exclusively with Stream Tread.

www.korkers.com

www.simmsfishing.com

-Cody

I have felt soles for the summer months and use lug (rubber) soles in the snowy months. Felt just holds on to too much snow when walking. Look for what feels right...it's a long day if they aren't comfortable. One other thing...my cheapest boots seem to be my most comfortable...so don't go by price thinking the more expensive ones are better.

Murray

I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions. I struggled with this same question when I finally bought a new pair of wading boots. I bought Cabela's ultralight wading boots and ordered them one size larger than normal. They work fine. I was worried at first because they seemed too large. But if you are wading in cold water then you'll want a little room for wool socks and the one size over thing worked well. As far as cleats and rubber, I dunno. I've got the felt stuff. Hope I'm not contagious! So there's another two cents worth. Good luck.

Spike

I'm on my second pair of the wadelites and like them a lot. For the amount of times I go out I get a few years out of each pair. I would also suggest going one size larger if you can't get to a local store to try them. I have read that the felt soles will be phased out in the very near future because of what you said above. It is for the right reasons, but I hope the replacement soles work as well as the felt. I hate dunking in river snot! LOL

In my opinion the best wading boots around right now would be the new line from Simms, called "CleanStream". They use a sole called "Vibram" which has fantastic grip. You could then put studs in them to give them even more grip. Here in New Zealand they have completely banned the use of felt soled boots.

I use Korkers Convertables with the interchangable soles. Have had them for about 4-5 yrs now and they have been the best boot I have used so far. I usually just leave the studded soles in them 99% of the time because they grip on just about everything. I have no problem using felt soles, I've heard all the stuff floating around concerning felt soles and parasites and such but I don't put a ton of stock in that whole argument to do away with felt. Because if your in a river that has harmful parasites that can be transfered then they will get into more than just the felt soles. But that's another topic all together.

And as the guys above suggested, go one size up to give you room in them for heavy socks.

I use Korkers Convertables with the interchangable soles. Have had them for about 4-5 yrs now and they have been the best boot I have used so far. I usually just leave the studded soles in them 99% of the time because they grip on just about everything. I have no problem using felt soles, I've heard all the stuff floating around concerning felt soles and parasites and such but I don't put a ton of stock in that whole argument to do away with felt. Because if you in a river that has harmful parasites that can be transfered then they will get into more than just the felt soles. But that's another topic all together.

And as the guys above suggested, go one size up to give you room in them for heavy socks.

including all the bugs in your tackle, your waders on and on.

I wouldn't be without my felt. I wouldn't trust anything else. Busted my ass one too many time and it wont happen again. I clean them faithfully (bucket of water and some bleach and let them set and dry). I dont usually fish more than one stream at any given day and the gear is out of the water a couple days before I'm in new water.

I like about 2 sizes over shoe size and seems to be comfortable and my toes stay warm. the booties in my waders seem a little excessive but fill up with heavy socks on. 2 sizes over is pushing it a little.

Tom

I really appreciate all the tips and info from all on the forum. I think the Korkers sound good , but it's going to be a wait and see , depending on the best prices. Thanks again to all, Murray

I'll be probably picking up a pair of the Vibram soled Simms boots before long. A buddy of mine here in Arkansas has a pair and he thinks they're the best boots he's ever worn. Plus .. he owns the local shop so he has access to pretty much whatever he wants to try out.

Mike

I own a pair of the Simms Vibram sole boots and they are fantstic. Pricey but you didn't take up fly fishing to save money, right. They offer great ankle support, the large toe box is very stiff preventing the boot from squeezing your foot from water pressure, which leads to premature cold feet. Rubber soles help prevent invasive parasite spread and not to say that you plan on traveling to New Zealand, but they don't allow felt soles in any of their streams. I think a few places in the states are looking to adopt simalar regs in the future. They clean easily and are well built. I've owned several pair of boots and the Rivershed boots I own now get a 10 from me.

All I can say is KORKERS RULE :headbang: I mean think about it. you get hiking boots, felts, felts w/studs, and studded soles. The replacements compared to a pair of boots are extremely cheap, and they offer different models for different things also. I'm a Korker for life.