Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a renzetti traveler and a presentation 3000 with au sable speed crank both have pumped out dozens of flys with no problems with either one.The money i have invested in these vises.Have payed of in the long run.

I have a renzetti traveler and a presentation 3000 with au sable speed crank both have pumped out dozens of flys with no problems with either one.The money i have invested in these vises.Have payed of in the long run.

I started out with what came in the kit... a standard AA model. Not a high-quality one in construction or quality, but it served its purpose for a while. I had a couple of AA vises after that, not major league pieces... but they were good enough. Then I came in contact with true rotary and bought one to try it out. That one was an Eagle Rotating Vise, a very cheap one... but it got me "hooked" on true rotary. Now I'm using a Danvise, which I'm very satisfied with. Much of it is made of Delrin plastic, which has made the vise fairly cheap. But it sure is much vise for the money spent.... I haven't started planning another upgrade yet. This will probably fill my needs for a while.

(Not to forget: The Danvise jaws are SWEDISH steel!! Am I a patriot or what? cool.gif )

Tight wraps,

/Nick

When I was younger I just tied on the vice that had come in the kit. I just started back up recently and got the Peak vice. I think its a great choice especially for the price.

I just reread many of the posts in this Poll. I think Danvise should have had a listing in the catagories. I seems that many tiers are using the Danvise.

QUOTE (mmarkey @ Aug 5 2005, 06:59 AM)
I just reread many of the posts in this Poll. I think Danvise should have had a listing in the catagories. I seems that many tiers are using the Danvise.

I'm with you on that one mmarkey. I also noticed that the Site Sponsor J. Stockard had a good price on them right now.

I love the Danvise and have no desire to look at anything else. My only complaint is the bobbin cradle. It is a bit finicky.

I have a hard time justifying forking out hundreds of dollars for something that just holds a hook. I can think of better places to put that money, like rods, reels, fly line, tying materials, seminars, instruction, guides or trips to different waters.

Ive been using only Dyna-King vices for the past 13 years. Having tied roughly 60,000 flies during that time on my Pro model as a commercial tyer, it still holds every hook with absoulute authority. I like how quickly I can get a hook set into the jaws with a flick of the wrist, tie 360º in rotation, and keep the jaws in the desired position after the rotation. Other semi rotary and true rotary vices that I have tried always default back to upright position when I release my grip. Because I mount materials in various locations along the hook shank, I need to be able to rotate the jaws back and forth while I am wrapping....my trusty old dyna king stays put when I stop. I will never settle for any other vice as this one has become such a part of me.

John

OK. I have read this thread. Here is my responce.

I have three cheap vises. One my father gave me, one I bought to "up-grade" sad.gif , and one el cheapo "rotary-style" vise. thumbdown.gif

So, I am buying a new vise! A serious upgrade this time which I hope to be my last vise purchase. thumbup.gif unsure.gif

I had my eye on the HMH Standard Bench Model Vise, but then I read Bassturd's comment. Bassturd wrote, "I have the HMH spartan . It is a great vice for my needs I rarely tie anytrhing smaller thatn a 6 so the magnum jawa are all that I use HTe only problem that I have with it is Nomatter how tight I make the rotary nut it will come loose by turning the vice counterclockwise". That put me off getting the HMH. unsure.gif

So, now I have my eye on the Dyna-King Supreme thumbsup.gif

Yesterday I was set on getting the Dyna-King Barracuda, but I am thinking true rotary may not be the best for me. It appears that the Supreme can do some rotary style tying which is probably enough for me. unsure.gif

The Dyna-King Supreme is BIG BUCKS so any advice on getting the best price much appreciated. smile.gif

FLYUSER

I also have a multitude of vises.

I do most of my warmwater, saltwater tying on a Dyna-King Barracuda because you are doing so much tying on top and bottom of the fly.

I do most of my trout fly tying on a Regal because it is quick to get the hooks in and out of the vise for production tying.

I do most of my Salmon Fly tying on a Dyna-King Professional as it is primarily stationery and I have room around the fly to put my fat hands and fingers to make things fit on the fly properly.

I have a Nor-Vise I use when I am tying bunces of Woolies and such because it is quick, or when I just want to play with something different.

I have a Renzetti Traveler that I take to shows and such but also haul one of my Dyna-Kings just in case.

If you cannot tell, I collect vises, and I am not through yet. I hope to get a couple more in the years ahead.

Up until now the commercial tying paid for them but as I have pretty much gotten out of that realm I will have to come up with some other excuse to tell my wife.

Kyle

flyuser - I purchased an HMH Spartan a few weeks ago after looking at just about everything. I could not be happier with it. I planned to buy extra jaws since I tie a wide variety of sizes but the "omni jaw" holds everything for me absolutely rock solid. I have not had the problem you mentioned at all. A lot of experienced tyers don't think there is a better vise out there at any price and I agree.

Just my 2 cents,

PS: on rereading I see that you decided on a dyna king supreme. That is a great vise as well. To me HMH or dyna king are the way to go. Solid steel, lifetime warranty, etc. Again just my opinion.

Greg

Hi glm38,

I quoted BASSTURD about the HMH. I have never used one. BASSTURD's comment (that I quoted in my previous post) basically "scared me off" the HMH. unsure.gif

I do not have any personal knowledge of the HMH at all. dunno.gif

I picked the Dyna-King partially because there was one in the store I visited (and then ordered from) and I was happy with the workmanship. It also had very strong feedback on this thread.

Just so I am clear. I have nothing against the HMH and I suspect I would have been just as happy with the HMH.

FLYUSER