Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I started tying flies back in the 70's I used a Thompson A vice. We didn't have cool fancy vises back then. I bought a Renzetti Traveller about 10 years ago and just never got to liking it. I bought a Dyna-King Supreme last year and this the finest vice I think I've ever seen and certainly ever used. The quality and workmanship is superbe. Ranks up there with a Lawrence Waldron vise as far as I'm concerned...and about a 1/3 the cost.

I started out tying on Sunrise vise that I got in a fly tying kit back in the early 70's. I tyed on it for about 20 years. Then I was looking for a rotary vise and choose a Thompson 360 SLT. About 12 years ago I was in a fly shop and saw the Renzetti Traveler vise. The owner of the shop convinced me into buying it and I'm glad he did. I own 2 Travelers now, pedestal and clamp models. I enjoy tying on the Renzetti's.

Ps. The Sunrise vise seen thousand upon thousand of hooks and it is still in great shape. I still tye my size 24 tricos on it. I'm sure that I got my money worth out of it and then some. :D

Early in this topic I said that I use a Thompson A vise. Well Santa brought me a Renzetti Traveler. Wow, what a wonderful difference it makes. My flys don't look that much better, but it is sure more fun to tie them. Jim

I just recently got my first vise - Peak Rotary Vise Kit from my Girlfriend. Can only say good things about it so far. I must say that I am amazed at some of the responses to the number of vises some of you have gone through. I just figured that this would be the one I would use as long as I tied. Oh well we will see.

Peak Rotary Vise - pedestal version. Awesome.

Things I like about this vise:

The looks

The jaws sit higher above the desk than the Renzetti Traveler (my 2nd choice)

The price.

Just wanted to share my great experience with Kurt Pflock at Peak Fishing. I received a Peak vise for Christmas that we had ordered from Bass Pro Shop. Very nice vise but this one had a little bit of play in the rotating shaft at the front of the brass block on the riser.

I know I probably could have taken it back to Bass Pro Shop but it's about an hour away. So instead I e-mailed Peak Fishing and asked for their assessment of the problem. I received a reply within about an hour with a suggested fix. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. So after another e-mail or two we determined that the hole in the brass block was a bit out of spec.

Kurt put a replacement part in the mail immediately along with a material clip.

To sum it up, I am happy with the vise and the company which stands behind their product.

I also starting tying with a Peak vise last season. The quality, price, gripping power, jaw clearance and rotary features are all positives. The company's customer service and response time to questions is also great. My one (trivial) criticism is that a material clip is not standard equipment. You can purchase one directly from the company for about $10.

Just got a Regal (clamp) and so far I love it. Very easy to use and it is rock solid. Also like the ability to

rest my left hand on it's flat top- very comfortable.

Hi. I use a Tymaster AAA vise made in India. This model resembles an old Thompson A vise. Simple and sturdy it is. I often tie on the fly, steamside, and the simplicity of this model I find to be old fashioned and fun. Holds the hook tight. The rest is up to me!

:)

Started with a Thompson then bought a Renzetti Traveller when they first came out. Didn't like it much. I recently bought a Dyna-King Supreme and love it! By far and away it is the most robust vise made. With the midge jaws you have a vise that can tie anything.

I'm using my first & only Dan-vise....it fit the budget,works for me....& can't justify a more expensive vise until I tie a better fly.

Peak Rotary Vise - pedestal version. Awesome.

Things I like about this vise:

The looks

The jaws sit higher above the desk than the Renzetti Traveler (my 2nd choice)

The price.

Just wanted to share my great experience with Kurt Pflock at Peak Fishing. I received a Peak vise for Christmas that we had ordered from Bass Pro Shop. Very nice vise but this one had a little bit of play in the rotating shaft at the front of the brass block on the riser.

I know I probably could have taken it back to Bass Pro Shop but it's about an hour away. So instead I e-mailed Peak Fishing and asked for their assessment of the problem. I received a reply within about an hour with a suggested fix. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. So after another e-mail or two we determined that the hole in the brass block was a bit out of spec.

Kurt put a replacement part in the mail immediately along with a material clip.

To sum it up, I am happy with the vise and the company which stands behind their product.

Same story here. I bought my PEAK vise from Bass Pro, took it home and discovered that the brass body housing had really bad gouges in the metal. Stupid me, I didn't bother looking inside the box before I took it home; it was sealed, what can I say? Anyway, I called Kurt Pflock up, told him my problem and he immediately issued an RMA and had a new vise at my house in less than 2 days. I didn't even have to send the first one to him. Once I was satisfied that the second vise that arrived was in great shape (it was, he apparently hand picked it to ensure that I got one that wasn't damaged) I sent the other one back without having to pay the shipping charges.

PEAK has definitely earned my business. There are very few, if any, other fly tying vise companies out there that take care of their customers like PEAK does.

Hello: For the past year I have used a Peak Vice. Simple engineering, rock solid construction and a company that really does stand behind its product. $ for $ it's probably the best value out there today. I would recommend everyone to take a honest look at this Vice. :D

I've been using a Regal for about 5 years. I't seems to do the trick for me, but I'd want something with less "girth" if I was tying a bunch of flies #18 or smaller. The large clamp housing sometimes gets in teh way of my tools or hands. Otherwise it's great for larger flies.

I began using my fingers as a vise and can still tie that way after over 50 years of tying. My first vise was a mail order Herters vise. I began with their entry level and moved up to their model A vise. They made good tools in the 50's and I'm still using some of them today. I used the Thompson Model A for many years as most tiers did and went to the Renzetti Traveler a number of years ago. I use all the Renzetti vises and find them extremely fun to tie on and they produce a quality product easier than with a stationary head vise.