Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use GULAM NABI™ Crown :headbang:

I start tying with it seven month ago

kazuntite Oh that is the name of the vise?! :D

kazuntite, no way :)

kazuntite, no way :)

Got any pictures of that vise? Or I guess I could look it up, DUH. Never heard of that one.

Now GHULAM NABI is a different story :unsure:

Nice! Looks like one of the Vises I use to have. My whimpy hands had a heck of a time with the lever. But man could it hold hooks!

I bought a fly tying kit from Cabela's several years ago and have been using the vice that came with it until recently. A few weeks ago I got a Griffin Montana Mongoose and am very happy with it so far. I am still experimenting with the rotary aspects of it, but I think I'm going to like it. I looked at several vises and cost was the bigest issue. I was just about ready to order a Renzetti Traveler ($180) when I looked for vises on eBay. The Travelers that I saw were about the same price as in the Cabela's catalog. Then I saw the Griffin, brand new, for $140. It came with a c-clamp base, pedestal base, carry case, ceramic bobbin, and a hackle gauge. The Renzetti comes with none of these except the base and then you have to choose one or the other. I'm sure the Renzetti is a great vise, but I feel that you get more for your money with the Griffin. By the way, the Griffin is $200 in the Cabela's catalog so I think the $140 I spent on eBay was a pretty good deal. If you are looking for a new vise, it might pay to check it out.

I tied for years with the Regal (1st the Inex, then the Medallion) and the last 8 years or so I have had the Lawrence Waldron. This is one of the finest vises I have ever had the pleasure to play with. The workmanship is superb and the functionality is unparalleled. I have the LAW pedestal, c-clamp, lap extension, retractable bobbin cradle, mirrored backplate, and, of course, the jaws (next to the Regal style it offers the easiest hook placement). I can easily tie on hooks from sz. 26 to 5/0.

I started tying on a Regal knockoff a few years ago and wanted something that would allow me to safely tie smaller flies. Anything under #16 would fly out of the jaws like a bullet and land who knows where. Double trouble. Another good reason to use barbless hooks, as well. Two years ago, I invested in a Dyna-King Barracuda Junior Trekker and I love it. I got the pedestal base for this vise and really appreciate the versatility this provides. I don't tie alot of small flies, but have had no problems down to #22 hooks on this vise. I tie alot of hair wing steelhead patterns and this vise is rock solid for this application. I really love the rotary function and feel that this alone has been a quantum leap in regards to the quality of my ties.

used a 14.95 cabelas cheapy for 10 years and served me well on flys #18 and bigger.But just recently purchased the griffin odyssey spider rotary for 80.00 bucks for tying the midges i need to tie for the stream i frequently fish.My opinion,its according to what u r tying and the budget u have,like i said,i tyed fly on the cheapy for 10 years and caught plenty of fish on those flys.

shane wvIPB Image

Hi,

I use a Renzetti Master at home and HMH Spartan for the journey... I find these vises perfect with a high quality of finish… no criticism except the price of Renzetti ! :whistle:

Dyna-King Barracuda DeLuxe, modified with a tiltable post. Very comfortable when weaving and easy packed...

/Niclas

post-15497-1223419500_thumb.jpg

post-15497-1223419514_thumb.jpg

post-15497-1223419526_thumb.jpg