Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use a regal rotary vise...pretty much indestructible.

Regal for me as well. I have been extremely happy with it :headbang:

Just got a Nor-vise and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bugeyes:

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great vise.... I have the dry fly jaws and the large and small Jaws and it is friggen beautiful....

In my opinion, Regal makes the best vise on the market. They are bombproof, super easy and just classy looking. I love my Revolution. I switched to that after using Griffin for a long time.

www.regalvise.com

I'm new here, and I just started tying (my first lesson was Monday). I ended up going with the HMH Standard vise. It is a classic design that holds hooks perfectly and perhaps offers the most unencumbered access to the hook of any vise made.

I decided on both the standard Omni jaw and a set of those elegant little Micro jaws. I don't think I'll ever need another vise..

Tied a lot on a Regal but wanted to try the Norvise style vice and didn't want to pay so much for something i might not like. So i build my own, starting with a pair of skateboard bearings :blink:

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

Tried a few of the techniques Norlander shows in his videos and it works fine. Think i'll downsize things a bit, it's a little bulky apparatus

Karel

As A beginner on a low budget, my local store owner let me try a number of vices in my price range. I went with the dan vise and have been very happy.

To my Barracuda, I have now added a conventional vise... the Dyna-King Supreme. Like the Barracuda, a real high-quality vise. The primary reason for getting it is that it saves space on my tying bench which isn't that huge. I do quite a lot of rotary tying, but for the times I only use the rotary function for watching the different angles of the fly, there is no real need for an in-line rotary vise. The fly can be rotated 360 degrees in the Supreme too and if it's just a question of positioning the fly, the shank doesn't really need to stay perfectly horizontal. The first time in 4,5 years I have used a conventional vise and I think it's a really good addition to my rotary vise.

/Nick

supreme.jpg

(Click picture for details)

I used a Thompson for many years and its still as good as new. I bought a dyna king trekker a year ago, it works great and I do'nt think I can live without the rotary feature anymore. You have to learn how to use these because you can break hooks with them, but once you learn how to adjust the vise to the hook it is no prblem. These vises will definetly hang onto a hook! Well worth the money and I think it will last a lifetime.

I've used a Renzetti Traveler, Saltwater Traveler with the additional Clouser arm, and now use a Dyna-King F-C Enhanced. I am concidering adding The Dyna-King Supreme.

I too have run a sort of course on vises like Troutbum. I started with a Thompson A, upgraded to a better thompson. Both worked good but I was not overly happy with them. I then moved on to a Renzetti master, I absolutely loved the vise and it gave me 5 good years worth of flytying, but after a customer service nightmare I sold the vise on Ebay and vowed never to return business. I guess I am old school when it comes to customer service, something that is a dying breed of sorts now a days. I eventually moved on to an HMH and I am very happy with it. I have all four jaws for mine, I personally think the tubefly attachment is the best one out there. Its really a matter of personal preference in terms of vises, get your hands and hooks into as many as possible till you find the right fit.

OK, here I go, this is my first post.

I started with a Thompson A, and I used it early on in my teens. I didn't tie thereafter for about 15 years. Then, about 4 years ago I got back into fly tying in a big way, when I got intrigued with fly fishing for bass in Arizona where I live now. Tying the larger hair bugs led me to the Dyna King vises, of which I currently use the Junior Barracuda Trekker as a travel vise, and my primary vise at home is the Barracuda Indexer. I couldn't be happier with the Barracuda Indexer. It is nicely machined, heavy duty, and its precise. I was tying bass bugs for a local shop here for about 16 months, but the big box stores put it out of business--very sad. Anyway, I do recommend the midge jaws--particularly if you tie alot of midges smaller than size 22. The midge jaws aren't in any way necessary, but I have found them very useful for very small tying. I haven't personally used the Renzetti vises, but agree with many of the above postings; in that, they seem very styled, but not necessarily solid large fly vise compared to the Dyna King Barracudas. But, again, I haven't personally used a Renzetti. I have often seen the Renzettie characterized as an excellent vise for trout dry flies, and the Dyna King repeatedly characterized as an excellent choice for saltwater and large freshwater tying applications. For me, the Dyna King has proven excellent for all applications: huge hair bugs and streamers, rotary tying, and midge tying. They are expensive, but I have found them to be excellent investments, that I am confident will last a lifetime.

Use Danvise............cost. Started with old Thompson's and other freebies. Like the Danvise as it works fine

I use the griffon odyssy spider about like a danvise just american made and better quality, i used to use a thompson then a dannvise now a odyssy spider