Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all.

After reading a mammoth article,I've decided to also add & make it a little larger. Over 50+ years of FlyFishing,Flytying,and formally employed as a Toolmaker,I can,t remember how many vises I've made used,given away,as one time we had a run on Fly Vises,Landing nets,as wellas other items,(freebies,for all who wanted one,from memory I think we made 20-30 Vises)in the place where I worked. Also read where some vises are better than others,maybe,as mostly, most tyers just want them to hold the hook secure.However it's different as Al Baatty pointed out,if you are a Commercial Tyer.

I still have six vises,however I only use two,one of which I turned in a Lathe from a 5/8" stainless steel Bolt,for the body a 5/8" Hi Tensile Bolt for the jaws,the chrome post the height adjusting stem from a Motor Bike Mirror,apiece of Brass Rod & a piece of Mild steel Rod.

Last year I bought a dyna King on ebay which I find to be very good. :cheers:

liphooked

Hi again.

Just so I don't confuse you all by signing off with liphooked, my original user name,which you will see around,on other sites.& then I re- registered as oldfella,because there must have been a glitch somewhere .

Cheers.

Only read 21 pages of this thread. My vise of choice Regal, Dyna King, HMH ( maf by Bill Hunter ) untill a few weeks ago when I got a Spearhead. some what like a HMH. Whate can you tall me about this vise? Have collection of 100 +. Thanks in advance for information .

IBRB

:blink: I am using the one that came with the fly tying kit I purchased for my son when he was 12 (now 21). The kit has never been used and one of his younger brothers (now 10 years old) has statedhe wants to tye flys. wish us luck Dan :yahoo: oh i have never tyed a fly.

i have 2 vices my first one was an el cheapo from cabelas and it got the job dont but it wouldnt hold bigger hooks worth a darn...so a while ago i purchased a griffin blackfoot mongoose and i love it would recomend it to anyone that wants a good rotary vise for under $200

Wow miko, you don't happen to build rocket ships too do ya? lol That looks like a complicated piece of equipment. Nice pics and cool lookin vise :cheers:

For nearly 50 years i used an old fly tying vise that has no brand name or stamp, serial number or etc on it anywhere. Did the job however as I was not into tying a whole lot at a given time. Heavy beast made of brass and iron.

After meeting Ed and Betty Smith in July this year, while at Sheridan lake, I decided to spring for the Nor Vise and am glad that I did as it suits my style and inventiveness. I find myself fascinated too with Ed's Liquid Lace products, and with this vise it is so fast and easy to do them it is more surprising I did not get one a long time back...

I am currently using a Thompson vice, but I expect that to change pretty soon. It holds the hook pretty well, but it takes a ton of pressure to clamp it in there and to unclamp it. Very poor crafting.

Jan

Man.. I thought Thompson would have had a few more followers...

And I could have voted other.. sheesh....

I do tie on a Belazia vise sometimes in the field when I aint at home tying on my Thompson.

cheers, Brian

I started with a cheapo kit vice, then I had a Griffon. Now I have a Dyna-king Kingfisher pedestal and its served well for 10 or so years. Im not big on rotary vices, just feel too bulky to me. Kingfisher is solid, compact and spartan which is what I like in my vices.

edit- oh yeah, I had a Regal before the dyna-king and it was a great vice, especially for commercial work, although I wore out the jaws until it started spitting really small hooks. Gave it to a good friend to get him started. I figured it would be quite a while before he started doing 22s and smaller.

I use a Regal vise because I like the way it opens and shuts. With other vises I have used, you have to fiddle with the adjustment on the handle to keep the hook from coming loose. When spinning deer hair, especially, I often found the hook was not as tight as I thought. I have also found the base to be heavy enough that I don't need a C-clamp.

:rolleyes:

I started with a kit vise (similar to the Thompson Model A) about a year ago. Three or four months ago, I purchased a DanVise and haven't looked back! I love it! I have yet to learn how to really use the rotary function(s), but I do like the ability to turn the fly and see it from all angles.

What I don't like about the DanVise is the Delrin material (seems a bit soft) and the metric vertical shaft (having to modify - drill out - a pedestal base I picked up so I can use the two together, as I don't really like clamping to a table/desk).