Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jimmy I'm curious did you have the HMH midge jaws? I bought that vise specifically because they seemed to be the best midge jaws on the market and I wonder how they compare to the jvise and what sizes you are tying on them.

I started with a Danvise which I still have but I haven't used it in years. Still like new. I now use a Dyna King Barracuda Jr. and it is great and still like new. I also have the extra set of midge jaws for it too. I have been thinking about selling these vices and getting me a Nor-Vise. I think I would like the dubbing feature and the auto bobbins.

The JVICE looks sweet. I'd like to get one soon enough. I'm going to email the owner asking for a selling price, although, it doesn't look that cheap.

Jimmy I'm curious did you have the HMH midge jaws? I bought that vise specifically because they seemed to be the best midge jaws on the market and I wonder how they compare to the jvise and what sizes you are tying on them.

I've got an HMH with the midge jaws. They work fine for size 18 and smaller, not for bigger than that. Adjusting them takes a little gettting used to after using the regular jaws but once you dial them in they are excellent. Of course, my Renzetti also holds small hooks extremely well.

Can't speak for the Jvice.

Gene thanks for the reply. I've been tying on my HMH with midge jaws for some time and love them. I was more curious to hear from someone who had owned both and how the two compared considering how much jvise owners seem to love them.

The JVICE looks sweet. I'd like to get one soon enough. I'm going to email the owner asking for a selling price, although, it doesn't look that cheap.

He has a price list on his site....expect about $600, depending on what extras you get.

Hello all, just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I've been tying for a long, long time ... worked my way through college and grad school tying and selling flies. I got my start on the Thompson A like many of you and have tried many different vises over the years. I spent a few years as a part owner of a fly shop and so I had access to most of the more popular vises. I found the quality and utility varied from brand to brand and model to model. I settled in on one about 30 years ago that I really liked and have been using it ever since. HMH is my favorite.

Steve

Back in the dawn of time I started with the usual cheap Indian knock offs of Thompson vices. They didn't last. Moved on to a Royal Yorkshire that lasted for a few years (similar to the Regal). Then A Barracuda, Marc Petitjean's original Swish Vice, Odam's Over and Under, Blue Mountain Travel Vice, Barracuda Junior Trekka, and now a LAW Bench vice.

The LAW provides me with a good hook hold and the best access to the hook I have ever found. I could see myself getting another. At the moment the only one that appeals to me is the J Vice. However I need to buy 10 vices for summer workshops I'm running over the next few weeks. The J Vice is going to have to wait. I certainly will not be buying 10 J Vices!

Cheers,

C.

If I read all of the thread accurately, I guess I'm the only one here using a Peak vise. I started with an el cheapo tying kit model, had a chance to use a Renzetti Traveller and was quite impressed, started saving for one. Along the way I found the Peak vise, a very solid rotary vise built in Colorado by some engineers who happen to fly fish. They have a machine shop at their business, designed a vise and made a few for themselves, then friends wanted them, etc. so they began selling them. I find it sturdier than a Renzetti but it is also less expensive. I've been very happy with it, have had it about a year and a half I guess. Check them out at www.peakfishing.com if interested.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I also use a Peak. I started with a Griffin Spyder Odessy. It was a good vise but the small screw

on the front of the jaw was murder on my fingers. I like the cam lock on the Peak much better. :)

I currently use a Marc Petitjean Swiss Vise (Base model). I had a Renzetti Master; however, I had a problem with the jaws (right out of the box). The anemic customer service and extremely poor attitude of Lily Renzetti had me running to return the vise back to the store from which it was purchased. I bought the Marc Petitjean in its stead and have never looked back. What an incredibly solid, aesthetically pleasing, extremely functional, marvel of modern engineering.

Visually, the Petitjean is like putting Stacy Keibler up againt Roseanne Barr in a bikini contest. The Swiss Vise is sleek & svelt, has the jaws of a pitbull, and the ability to adjust the angle of both the jaw arm and jaws is well thought out. In fact, the entire vise is extremely well thought out.. And, the accompanying tube vise mandrells are a pleasant bonus. I also have a Renzetti Traveler and will be putting that up on ebay soon.

I ran into Andrew Renzetti Sr. at one of our local fly shops and told him of my experience with his wife. He just shrugged his shoulders, lit a cigarette and alluded to maybe it was my fault for his wifes pathetic phone etiquette. As you can tell, this experience has left a bitter taste for Renzetti. When you spend upwards of $700 on a premium vise, the company should provide comparable customer service, not arrogance and insults. Shame on you Renzetti and my hats off to Marc Petitjean!

I also use MP's Swiss Vise, and I love it. I own one (12/20) of the Marc Petitjean 20th Anniversary Edition in "gold" with the full pack of accessories. Anyone else here own one of these? Would be cool to know where in the world the 20 vises live.

Must be a rotating vise. I have a griffin spider vise and it works great. It was only $100 and it works as good as a $400 vise. The jaws are a nice width and it is easy to adjust. It clamps onto a desk and has a cork clamp so it dosent scrape the table. The rotating mechanism works amazing. You can easily change the rotating grip. This is to me one of the best vises out there.For the price you should go out there and get one right now.