Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys

I figured that it's time to jump in. I started out with a Renzetti Presentation 4000 and then moved to a Master.

Been tying for about 7 years now off and on... Started out with a Renzetti traveler and then moved to a Regal. Use the regal mainly now as the go to vice. Love the holding power but w/small hooks beyond 16-20's have lost a few across the room.

Cheers - Hansen

A Peak for me. I really have enjoyed the solid hook holding and the ability to rotate the pattern as I need to. Plus it was easy on the wallet. It is a great vise for the price!

I use a Renzetti Presentation. I really dont need it, it is way above my skill level but i got one heck of a deal on it from Cabelas Bargain Cave.

I went with the intention of buying a Traveller but found the Presentation for <$50 more, i just couldnt pass that up.

The good: I love the rotary feature and it holds hooks very well.

The bad: old style screw jaws with the rubber band. I might upgrade them someday.

My first vise was a Herters model B ( Thomson ) with the big red knob but rare now being left handed. I got my first HMH in 74, and haven't turned back. Being able to change jaw for all sizes of hooks is a big plus to me. TroutBum HMH do have a jaw that is not in the catalog, but is avalable that is very close to the magnum that has smooth jaw, and are purfect for Atantic Salmon Fly tying and your special work. Cal Dana at HMH and he will get you one.

I started on a double AA vise. Never really liked it, I enjoyed tying but didn't think the vise was that easy to work with. Hook was never holding right always adjusting. I tired several of them and then moved up to a Griffin Patriot cam. I loved that but at the same time two close friend bought Danvises and were always at me to try theirs. Finally did and I'm hooked. Very easy to use vise, just wish I had one years ago. I still use the Griffin but not as often.

I use an Anvil Apex vise. I really like it better then more expensive, more complicated models. I paid 149 Canadian for mine and got one on sale for 129 for my girlfriends.

I've had these for just under a year and have had no problems with the girlfriends vise, although I did have a problem with mine. The jaws on the vise unexplainedly snapped while tying one day, nearly taking out my eye with flying jaw and hook. The vise has a lifetime garentee and I had no problem getting a new set of jaws. It took a little mechanical know-how to install the jaws, but I've had no problems since.

All in all it's a do everything you need vise for a good price!

Dave H

I have been using a renzetti traveler for a couple of years now. It works great! It was upgraded from a cheap one that came with a fly tying kit. It is hard to go back and tie on the one old.

I've been tying for two months with a Danvise.( I started tying two months ago) Seems to be working and producing some nice flies. These flies are not quite ready for public display, just hungry Trout. I've been able to land 5 trout with these guys on my last trip to NC. I seem to be spending a lot of time on the bench and web sites. Look forward to a swap or two, in the future.

I use a dana-king squire vise. I like it very much. I wish I had a bobbin hanger though. When you rotate it; it don`t stay horizontal. I love the jaws; they work good.

I played around with the peak and then the renzetti traveler. Then I set my hands on the Dyna king cuda trekker. I liked it so much more that I had to shell out the bucks for it. (not spending more than $210 if I am not selling flies to make up for it yet).

I love the jaws and the simplicity of the adjustments. strong, protable, and feels teh best in my hand. I couldn't be happier.

-Billy

i started out with the cam that came with a kit and that lasted all of a week and then upgraded to what i thought was a great vise and still think so, the danvise. i have since bought a norvise and use nothing else. i made a nice tube fly holder out of a 1/0 saltwater hook and saved me some $$$.

vinnie