Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Will do.  I’d invite to our tying club UTFMA that meets in Bedford hopefully in the fall but probably that’s too much of a drive.

I’d like to meet you and niveker sometime.  Maybe the Marlborough show will happen this year and maybe not ! Lol

Started with the venerable Thompson Model A.  Bought a used Renzetti Traveler and put a lot of flies through it. Moved up to the Dyna-King Barracuda a few years ago and honestly can't see myself ever using another vise.

As Salarman said, vises are basically just hook holders.  The Dyna-King does that very well indeed and never a moment's trouble, although I must admit that DamaSeal is pretty sexy...

Have had a bunch...

Started with the old indian clamp vises and a few other generic vises...  then eventually found a Stonfo flytec when I got tired of spending money on a new vise every 6 to 12 months, which has served well for a couple of years...

Earlier this year I picked up a Regal Medallion...  not rotary, but does well for many patterns....  I go back to the Stonfo for it's rotary capabilities at times.

On 12/26/2013 at 6:48 PM, Bugsy said:

I have and use both. As mentioned by Gene, one of the advantages enjoyed with most clamps is the ability to raise and lower the vise a little or a lot. But the Peak clamp is a different design than other clamps and thus doesn't offer this option, i.e., you tie at a fixed height determined by the length of the upright.

I learned to tie with a C-Clamp Thompson Model A. 

I have tried pedestal base vises and find them awkward. 

I don't tie when travelling anymore, but when I did, I used a little thing I made close to 50 years ago. Photo is at Falling Springs, Chambersburg, PA. I wish I still had that much hair.  :) 

Tying flies, Falling Springs 1975.jpg

I currently use a Renzetti Apprentise and really like it. The jaws are a little big for wrapping down to the bend and also adding tail material.. So I thought I would want a different jaw configuration andtrue rotary vise. So I bought a Renzetti Traveler 2000 and tied a number of flies on it. But I just nudged the arm a few times and it rotated away from me numerous times. I had the nut turned about as hard as I dared but didn't help so I retuned it. It may have been a demo unit,. So I'm thinking of trying another one. The true rotary was pretty neat for adding goose biots and turning rib wires. 

I currently use a Renzetti Apprentise. I like it, but sometimes the jaws get in the way on certain flies, so I was looking for a new one. I bought a Renzetti Traveler 2000 and tried it on a few flies. I had a problem when I would gently nudge thw arm and it would slightly swivel away from me. I tried tightening the nut but didn't help so I returned it. But I did like the rotary function and the smaller jaws. I think it may have been a demo unit soi maybe that's why the nut wouldn't tighten down to stop the spin. Anyone with a Traveler have the same problem?