Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While hunting money to buy myself a new vise I sold off some of my older flies, not to be used anymore. A guy at the forum I sold the flies at saw an opportuniy and offered me his vise in exchange for a bunch of my flies. I couldn't resist, and even though it was a great number of flies I dont regret it. I am now a proud owner of the Marc Petitjean swiss master vise, first edition :wub:

post-16415-1264600084_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600089_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600094_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600111_thumb.jpg

What a vise! It requires some knowledge of its design and function, you must get to know it a bit. But once familiar with it it truly is a master vise.

While hunting money to buy myself a new vise I sold off some of my older flies, not to be used anymore. A guy at the forum I sold the flies at saw an opportuniy and offered me his vise in exchange for a bunch of my flies. I couldn't resist, and even though it was a great number of flies I dont regret it. I am now a proud owner of the Marc Petitjean swiss master vise, first edition :wub:

post-16415-1264600084_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600089_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600094_thumb.jpg post-16415-1264600111_thumb.jpg

What a vise! It requires some knowledge of its design and function, you must get to know it a bit. But once familiar with it it truly is a master vise.

That is very cool! I have seen the new one, but I've never seen this version before! Great trade! You were wise to jump on that, in my opinion. You can always tie more. Especially now! Now you are a tyer and a vise collector! Congratulations on getting that!

David <><

That is very cool! I have seen the new one, but I've never seen this version before! Great trade! You were wise to jump on that, in my opinion. You can always tie more. Especially now! Now you are a tyer and a vise collector! Congratulations on getting that!

David <><

The more I tie on the vise the more convinced I am of the trade being a great deal for both of us. It is the first vise Marc designed, nowadays it has been outranked by the new MP-vise with a more traditional true rotary design. That´s why pretty much no one sells the first version anymore. But I like it more than the second edition, at least the looks :D Star wars lol

And that's about what I thought about it too, with this vise I'll tie even more flies! But I don't plan on collecting vises, to me they are simply tools for my hobby. But I might change my mind when I have some money to speak of..

That must of been one heck of a collection of flies. That's an amazing vise, enjoy.

Thanks! There were 800 of them actually.. :ripped: Mainly older flies fortunately.

P2030392.jpg

Modified Dyna-King

Ever since reading Al & Gretchen Beatty's book Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques I've wanted to modify my vise. Before any DIY McGivering, I contacted Dyna-King to see if they had any suggestions. Dyna-King sent a new vise stem and tilting bobbin rest stem attachement and now I'm one happy camper!

P2030392.jpg

Modified Dyna-King

Ever since reading Al & Gretchen Beatty's book Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques I've wanted to modify my vise. Before any DIY McGivering, I contacted Dyna-King to see if they had any suggestions. Dyna-King sent a new vise stem and tilting bobbin rest stem attachement and now I'm one happy camper!

how well do you like this vise? is it the ron abby signature vise? are all dyna king jaws interchangeable? thanks for the info

P2030392.jpg

Modified Dyna-King

how well do you like this vise? is it the ron abby signature vise? are all dyna king jaws interchangeable? thanks for the info

Now that the stem tilts, I really like the Ron Abbey Signature vise. Dyna-King is redesigning the Ron Abbey and I'm interested in what they come up with.

I have an HMH Spartan that I preferred for very small flies until I made the stem switch on the Dyna-King. I'll still use the Spartan for the very small stuff (20 and smaller), their midge jaws are fantastic. And yes, all Dyna-King jaws are interchangeble, except perhaps for the tube vise.

I wish I could change my vote. When I first voted I was using a Mega-cheapo Thompson knockoff. I've since upgraded to a Griffin Model 2A that I love. :D

I'm just wondering what I am missing. I have been tying with a Regal for a long time. It holds my hook, crimps barbs, hooks go in and out easily.

How many flies do you tie that use the rotary feature?

Carl

I use the rotary functions for the minority of my fly tying. I almost always use the ablilty to turn the fly to whatever angle I need, but my Regal does that. The Regal is a great vise, so long as you don't clamp anything right on the edge of the jaws and chip them, but you could damage most vises that way. I really think it depends on how you like to tie, and what you happen to be tying. I can sit down at the Regal and crank out one fly after another, and be perfectly happy most of the time.

I had replied early on in this thread and was very much satisfied with Dyna King Sidewinder. I've enjoyed tying on it as well as the versatility achieved with the many accessories I've added. Recently, while tying at the Fly Fishing Show at Somerset, NJ, I had the opportunity to tie on a friend's Law Vise. I've wanted one forever but life always got in the way. I don't want to open up the positive and negative discussion about the Law again. Yes it's expensive, you might have to wait to get one built for you, your flies might not be any better, etc... I was fortunate enough to find one on Ebay UK and made an offer on it in advance of the end of the auction that was accepted. I have to say after having HMH, Dyna King, Renzetti and some other's along the way, I'm done thinking about vises. The Law is simply superb from fit and finish to effortless hook holding. No cranking down and marring hooks. It just holds easily with minimum tension on the star wheel. It's well thought out and is the last vise I'll ever buy. May ending up selling my Sidewinder. I have a lot of history with it but just feel I won't be needing it.

Cheers,

Bruce C

I still have 3 thompson model A's that I picked up along the way

I bought a Renzetti Traveler and hated it. 2 screws to secure hook, never got the hang of that. Also when trying to use the rotary feature the thing kept binding so rotary function was not smooth. Sold it on ebay and happy to ship it off.

Dyna King Barracuda had a problem holding the hook.

Regal had the same problem

How can a vise not hold a hook?

So then I bought an HMH on ebay and behold a vise that holds a hook and is easy to adjust.

Later I picked up midge jaws on ebay and I am as happy as I can be.

Wanted to buy a Danvise from Al but I couldn't handle the no clearance problem of tying the tail on

Also would like to have a nor vise but don't want to spend the bucks on what I think is a risky venture.

Are they really as fast as those demonstrators at Sports shows make them look.

Also would like to have a nor vise but don't want to spend the bucks on what I think is a risky venture.

Are they really as fast as those demonstrators at Sports shows make them look.

Yep, though it takes practice. But if you saw that in person, you know you weren't looking at special effects.

But... not every operation benefits from that. I don't see how it could help you spin deer hair faster, for example.

Having said that, I own a Nor vise, and I'm glad I bought it. I like it a lot.

David <><