Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still use these cheap vises I have used last 20 years. One lasts maybe 2 years, then you have to change to a new one. Im a living proof that flytying vise doesnt matter. Ofcourse because Im so cheap what comes to vises, my latest one I "borrowed" from a friend.. He had to buy a new one because of this.. :devil:

Maybe after they make flytying vise that can really make me a better flytier, Im willing to upgrade.

Hi Guys,

I also started on the 70's with a Thompson "A" vise and tied a lot of flies until it finally broke. I now have 3 vises. 1 Renzetti Traveler cam vise, 1 Dyna King Professional, and 1 Regal all pedestal bases. I use each for different things, the Renzetti is my small fly vise and it works well, I find the rotary most useful on small flies. The Dyna King is built incredibly well and I use it for most flies, streamers, etc. from size 4 up to 12. The Regal is my go to pike and big fly vise and in my opinion the easiest to use on varying hook sizes without adjusting this and that. As I said they are all pedestal base vises, which often times isn't the best, so I am buying a "C" clamp assembly that I can use for the larger vises. I think if I had to do it again I would get each one with a "C" clamp base and have is single heavy pedestal that would be used for all of them when needed. You could also upgrade the Renzetti to a more sturdy model and eliminate the Dyna King. But I do like them all and I find each one does what I want very well.

I'm a newbe (Nov2010), I have a Peak Rotary from BPS..thinking that if I didn't like tying, I would get a better price for my stuff on e-bay...Being 70 and on a fixed income, it seemed to make sence....Love both...I tie for Bass & Pike

Give a man a fish & you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish & he has to buy a boat

good fishin' all

I'm a newbie, I bought my first vise a couple months ago from the Reno Fly Shop. It was only $40, a zephyr, I gave it to my 7 year old son. My dad was nice enough to buy me a Griffin rotary vise from the Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene. I love it, it works great for me.

I'm a newbe (Nov2010), I have a Peak Rotary from BPS..thinking that if I didn't like tying, I would get a better price for my stuff on e-bay...Being 70 and on a fixed income, it seemed to make sence....Love both...I tie for Bass & Pike

Yeah, go the peak Rotary, graduated to it after a no name regal look alike (not the qality of the real thing) via a Danvise. The Peak does it all for me!!

Blythey

:yahoo: :ph34r:

I use an Anvil Apex, great vice but I took a smal chip out of the tip of a very small hook, also the metal in the jaws is slowly migrating away from the centre and forming ridges at the edges

My first vice was one my dad made back in the 70's, used it for 15 years or so. my next was a Terra Rotary. the Terra is kinda a cheapie, works good for now.

Keep on chukin'

Bryan'salty fly'

My first vice was one my dad made back in the 70's, used it for 15 years or so. my next was a Terra Rotary. the Terra is kinda a cheapie, works good for now.

Keep on chukin'

Bryan'salty fly'

That's cool that you have a homeade vice. Could you post a picture of it? Thanks

Wow I have read at least 80% of the list.......... awesome stuff.

Have to agree with the danvise crowd!!!

I have been tying for over twenty years with a rare "Orvis ROTARY!" This vise is a commercial vise from overseas that was the same as the tyers in India were using for production tying. It is a no frills tying machine! It has a cam lock at the rear of the jaws, and locks inplace via a sliding pin that has a spring retainer. The head can be angled if desired but works just fine horizontal. It has a classic clamp mount and can tye flies from 24 to 5/0. It is the fastest vise I have ever seen for tying multiple flies in a hurry! The closest thing to it is the Norvise for its simplcity and smooth functioning.

But just recently the old girl has started to loosen in the yoke and wobbles in rotation just enough to be very annoying! Making ribbing a #22 impossible.

Enter the Danvise!!!

Looked at all the vises out there.....Renzetti and all, right down to the Norvise.

I'm a fly swapper and a writer......but mostly I'm a tyer. The Danvise gets my vote.....period. I own about 9 vises and teach fly tying to kids at a local school. All start on a AA vise. You grow into a rotary.

I have attached a pic of my Orvis.....if you ever see one of these on ebay......PM ME INSTANTLY!!!!

post-10730-0-35667500-1304803651_thumb.jpg

OK, I'll wade into this. I've used lots of vises in the past - rotory, non-rotory, true rotaory, not so true rotory, etc. with all the bells and whistles. Been seduced by the siren call of fancy equipment (easy to do in this hobby). Got on a kick a couple of months ago - simplify, simplify. So tried out a Regal Medallion. Loved it, bought it.

The thing is built like a Sherman tank. SOLID. No adjustments, no knobs sticking out all over to get in the way. Don't think I could pull a hook from the jaws with my truck. Kicking myself for not getting one years ago.

Have used many vices starting with an original Thompson Model A, however I must admit that I love my Renzetti Master vice. Outfited with the C-clamp, it is a good solid vice and I am very happy with it.

I hv 2 vises. JVise and NOR Vise. Both works well for me. I use the NOR Vise to tie at home and the JVise when i'm sharing ideas and tying classes.