Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inexpensive old Thompson, like I have been using the past 30 years. I will be purchasing a new vise this fall...was looking at a Peak, but I am now more seriously considering a Griffin Montana Mongoose.

I started tying when I was 16 years old on a vise I made myself. I created ants and other simple flies with my mothers sewing thread and other materials I found. The vise was terrible but I actually did catch some fish on some of my flies. Several years later I received a cheap Cabelas kit with tools and a vise as a gift. I think the whole package retailed for about 20 bucks (probably 35 now). This was however immensely better than the nuts, bolt and washers I had put together. Now,another couple decades later I finally bought a Renzetti traveler. It is almost as big a jump as my first upgrade. However, my advise to anyone starting out is to save money on your vise and invest in materials. Crappy hackle makes crappy flies, and it's really difficult to find alternative materials in your wife's sewing basket.

I love my Pettijean vise! Shown here with a bracket I made to support an $11 dollar LED lamp. It is a great set-up for doing fly demos.

post-4536-0-74506500-1307472217_thumb.jpg

I still use a cheap old vice that was included in a Cabela's fly tying kit I got when I was 11 years old. It likes to act up once in a while, but she's still going strong and helps make some awesome flies!

I started with a little cheapy vice a couple years ago and I thought it worked fine until I used a Regal. It holds a smaller hook so tight and I trashed my old one and bought a Regal Rotary and haven't used anything since but I'd like to get a new one that has some cradles and other add on possibilities.

have an old Odames,great vice,had one back 20 years ago when i was tying professionally,when i got back into it i just had to have another one.

I use the Dansvise. So far so good for me.

Is the Orvis Delrin® Vise the same as a Danvise?

The Orvis description says it's made of steel?

I thought they are made of plastic. Just wondering if they are they the exact same vise?

Can anybody help me out? B)

The Orvis website says the vise is "Delrin and steel".

Delrin is a resin and very tough... but yes... basically a plastic.

Yes it is a Danvise. The post, the jaws and some other parts are steel. Other parts are Delrin.

Yes it is a Danvise. The post, the jaws and some other parts are steel. Other parts are Delrin.

Thank you... Were the jaws on it ever made of Delrin? or is it made of low quality steel? B/c people told me when they had one the jaws bent out of shape when they only put a #16 dry fly hook in it after a few uses? Does this happen often with this vise? Or was that a problem that was addressed and now fixed? B)

The reason I'm asking about this vise, I have a friend that is thinking of tying and getting this one since it's very cost effective over most other vises.

Thank you... Were the jaws on it ever made of Delrin? or is it made of low quality steel? B/c people told me when they had one the jaws bent out of shape when they only put a #16 dry fly hook in it after a few uses? Does this happen often with this vise? Or was that a problem that was addressed and now fixed? B)

The reason I'm asking about this vise, I have a friend that is thinking of tying and getting this one since it's very cost effective over most other vises.

I've been told by a FTF regular who owned one that the very early Danvise models didn't have steel jaws. However, I bought my first one about 10

years ago, all the parts on it are still original, and I've never had any problems with it. A couple of years ago I bought a second one for travel use.

The only difference between the two is that the new one didn't come with the pad to protect the top of my tying table but did come with an instructional DVD.

While I've heard the stories about people having trouble with the jaws, the two sides of mine are still arrow straight though a bit of paint has worn

off the very tip. It is important to be careful with the adjustment of the screw of the jaws. If the screw is over-tightened, when you throw the cam it

will be very difficult to correctly position it. When this happens, you have over-tightened the screw and may break something. Supposedly most cams

apply a 2-1 ratio difference in the amount of tightening. The Danvise is supposed to have a much higher ratio which could be where some go wrong.

Or there could be some production inconsistency. I don't have the answer... only my guess.

If your friend decides to purchase a Danvise, stress the importance of watching the instructional DVD and stress that if the cam is hard to throw, the

screw has been over-tightened. I don't have the extension recommended for tying long flies using the vise. But very long flies can be a bit of a bother

to tie.

Not been tying very long, so using the vise that came in my kit.

Looking at upgrades for the future, I'd be hard pushed to go past the Peak Rotary for the money.

Renzetti - been a great vice for me -

Been using it pretty hard for 5+ years and can't complain.

My baby vise is Terra rotary vise. Which I am very happy to have this vise. I do wish to have a Rezetti vise, but just can't afford it. I am happy with what I have right now. The vise came in with a table clamp and has no base. I did an improvise on the vise - using the speaker base stand, I turn it into my vise stand as it is heavy enough to support my vise. Furthermore, my vise can use to tie small to big flies (hook size #10/0).

546279e4.jpg

Been using the vise for 2 years plus. It's a great vise!

Back when I first posted to this thread, I used a Dyna-King Barracuda. I have since switched to a LAW. I was fortunate to get one of the last ones before Mr. Waldron got out of the vise-making business.

I'll have to admit that I'm a bit of a vise junkie. I still have every vise I've ever owned -- a Thompson A, a fixed-head Regal, a rotary Regal, the Dyna-King and the LAW.

John