Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Silver Outcast Blonde (variation)

Charles Waterman, the "originator," shared that the basis for the Silver Outcast was his botched attempt at a Silver Doctor. For those that haven't read Waterman and have an interest in learning more about the use and development of some interesting (and effective) bass flies in the last century, I'd suggest hunting down a copy of his "Black Bass & the Fly Rod."

Nicely tied, Ray, and a welcome addition to the database.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Eric (Bugsy). I just ordered a used copy from Amazon ($5.74 w/shipping).

I should have mentioned that this fly is based on the "Silver Outcast" originated by Charles Waterman and is tyed in the Blonde style originated by Joseph Brooks. I love the color combination of the Silver Outcast and have fished it with success for a few years now. I didn't know it had its origins in the Silver Doctor pattern. I first read about the Silver Outcast in Harry Murray's book about fly fishing for smallmouth bass (another great book, btw). I am a big fan of Harry Murray's fly patterns.

I should have mentioned that this fly is based on the "Silver Outcast" originated by Charles Waterman and is tyed in the Blonde style originated by Joseph Brooks.

I goofed by suggesting that Ray's fly is anything other than a Silver Outcast as tied by Waterman. It's not. Ray, using Brooks' blonde style and a mixed wing, creates a fly that I find is much more visually appealing than the Waterman tie. Maybe it's the manner in which moving the white bucktail to the tail of the fly contributes to a slimmer, sleeker outline. Adapting Brooks' style with Waterman's color scheme is practical and makes good sense. Another "why didn't I think of that" moment. Thanks again Ray!

I found this pattern in a book on smallmouth fishing by Harry Muarry. Used with great effect throughout Pennsylvannia on trout and steelhead. Great fly!!!

Great fly , Ray. Very effective in fresh and salt water...Almost an "all species" kind of fly

Ray

You're on a Blonde tear! Great stuff.. I really like this one. I'm certain the Ohio R. stripers will like it, too. I've got a streamer wallet of nothing but Blondes and this is one more that will find it's way to that party.

Joe C.