Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

flies that resemble in-line spinners

i went fishing on easter sunday and unfortunately it was pretty windy so i didnt get the fly rod out. we were nailing them on in-line spinners. he caught 2 bass and a crappie and i caught 4 bass. i was wondering if anyone knew of a fly that resembles an in-line spinner.

here is a pic of a double me and my little brother pulled out. all fish were released safely

post-4850-1239681509_thumb.jpg

I don't know of any, but it seems to me a reguler in-line spinner would be light enough to cast with a fly rod :dunno:

Nice fish though

Jan

yeah i could probably cast the smaller ones, but we were using the large ones. i got to thinking maybe a wooly bugger with a small willow blade in between two beads behind the eye of the hook. think it would work?

I like to tye buggers and streamers with a small propeller at the head or I tye them weighted and use jig spinners. The only problem with the later is sometimes it does tangle while casting.

You can put a clevis with any type of blade or propellor on a fly as long as it is light enough. You just have to make sure to use a barrel swivel to connect your tippet to your leader or your line will twist like crazy. I seem to remember reading a thread back not to long ago that had a pattern with a small willow blade on it.

We went out last week to do some recon with spinning rods as well. They were rigged with spinner baits and we caught 4 chunky bass at 4.75, 5, 5.6 and 6.52 lbs. Now its snowing so who knows when we will get back out.

yeah i know of the coyote but its not really "in-line" if you know what i mean. i have a few tied up but i look at the coyote more as a small spinnerbait.

i tied a wooly bugger like the one mentioned above and it did not work. the blade didnt spin at all, just kinda dangled down like a weight. i did leave room for it to spin so i dont know whats going on. probably because i put it right on the hook. i think i need a clevis but how would i put a clevis on the hook?

any thoughts?

yeah i know of the coyote but its not really "in-line" if you know what i mean. i have a few tied up but i look at the coyote more as a small spinnerbait.

i tied a wooly bugger like the one mentioned above and it did not work. the blade didnt spin at all, just kinda dangled down like a weight. i did leave room for it to spin so i dont know whats going on. probably because i put it right on the hook. i think i need a clevis but how would i put a clevis on the hook?

any thoughts?

The clevises I have seen should be able to slide over the hook point, if not you could probably get some snap ring pliers or small needle nose pliers and open up the openings a bit to fit them around the hook shank, and then close them again once installed. I would place some sort of plastic bead on both sides to optimize the spinning. You should be able to get small clevis' and blades from any tackle manufacturer.

Also, with the coyote spinning problem a couple of beads may solve that as well. You really have to give it a good strip to get a lot of action out of the spinner, which of course will slowly stop spinning between strips. To get a constant spinning action, you're best option would be to continue using lures on a spinning rod, or rip the the fly through the water with little to no pause between strips.

Unfortunately there are just some things that can't be replicated with a fly rod, however it is a lot of fun to try. On the other side there are ton of things that can't be replicated with a spinning rod, that a fly rod does with ease.

I agree, I think the standard inline spinner blade may require too much speed to really be effective with most fly rod retrieves. If you use a larger propeller on the front of the fly, I think you may get closer to the desired effect than you realize, and they take less movement of the fly to spin. If you have ever seen video of an inline spinner in action from an underwater camera, you don't really see much detail of the blade. Basically all you see is some metalic flash around a bubble of air behind the blade. the bubble is caused by cavitation of the blade. In the vice they may look quite different, but I think a propeller type should have an awefully similar look in action under water. The metallic sheen may not extend quite as far back, but a metallic bead behind the propeller may address that.

Deeky

Look here:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...;hl=clouspinner

I make these, and at times they can produce when nothing else will. A willow blade will spin too close to the shaft or fly body if you try to put it on a hook. Honestly, I've tried every weird combination I could think of. The best performance came with a light wire shaft, some light beads, a wire clevis, and a colorado or indiana style blade. You will have to learn a couple of very easy wire-forming techniques, and a set of round-jaw pliers is very handy. Everything you need can be found online at lure making suppliers. I recommend Jann's Netcraft because they have everything and aren't insanely expensive.

Part of the attraction from the spinner is the vibration it creates. There's no way to imitate that with a "fly". You'll have to adjust your casting a little bit to avoid knocking yourself in the head- just like with anything heavy on a fly rod. You'll be surprised at how large you can make these and still cast them fairly well. I use up to about a #3 colorado blade, like the one pictured. If I remember, the fly is tied on a #1 3366.