Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cole

Congo Hair Colors?

Showing all of the colors?

Thanks,

Cole

Check the photos on Fat Bluegill's website. He has much better photos of the whole range of Congo Hair colors, along with the names.

Fat Bluegill's Website (Congo Hair Page)

You may also want to sign up for the Mad Scientists news letter. He periodically sends out E-mails with unadvertised specials on his tying materials. He recently had sample packs of the the Congo hair on sale for 60 cents/pack. The sample sizes are smaller than normal, but will give you enough for a bunch of flies. He had 25 different colors for the sale. I don't know if they are still on sale, but if you send him an E-mail you may be able to get the full 25 color sample-set for $15 bucks. Hard to beat a deal like that.

What is the main difference in Congo Hair and Water Silk?

The difference is mainly in the texture of the material. The congo hair is courser and has a slight crinkle (waviness). The watersilk is finer and generally straighter. Keep in mind that sometimes the texture of the watersilk can be different, depending on the starting material that the Mad Scientist uses. I bought some watersilk last year and some was straight, but some had a slight crinkle to it similar to the Congo Hair. I like the straighter stuff better, but it is all very nice material. He is now working on a new material (Irish Silk Fibers) that sounds like it will be even finer than the watersilk material. He has a 10 color set of the new material on sale for $7.50. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and am looking forward to working with it.

Irish Silk Fibers Special