Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiahermansfly

Hair on a bee?

I'm just getting into this guys and need a little help. I've got an idea how you all do it but I'm wondering before I mess a finished fly up! I've cut an oiler puff up into micro hairs. I plan on finishing this lil guy, coating with a varnish (unless otherwise directed) and then I'm gonna lay on the hair. Here's the progress I'm in the drying stage of the acrylic now. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm learning as I go. This is obviously the wrong hook, but oh well!

DSC01994.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

~Brett

I passed the point of no return, so nevermind answering in any hurry but I'm still interested in your alls answers!

Here's where I'm at now. Just a little messing around here and there, adding the wings and the black bald spot on the thorax and I'm fin!

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

I'm happy with it...Nah, maybe it still needs a little tweaking...I also wanted it to be a bee, but since the yellow came out wrong I'm undoubtably calling it a yellow jacket! The wings are a little big but I'm afraid to go messing with them now that they're attached.

DSC02005.jpg

Wing material and me getting my Tennessee Pride on! I took the wrapping paper and scored it several times with a pair of scissors.

DSC02011.jpg

DSC02009.jpg

Cheers it's addictive!

~Brett

Brett, the technique you used is fine. But there are several ways to tweak it. 1 for the dubbing use one that is already colored . Painting it after the fact adds an unnatural look to it. 2 use Daves flexament to attach the dubbing. 3 stand the dubbing up . use a empty ink pen as a mini stacker and add it in small vertical clumps.

One other area you may want to address is the finished laqured look. Most insects have a dull almost matte finish.

I hope you don't mind my comments . I think you did an excellent job.

Fred

I believe I'm about as done with this lil bugger as I'm gonna get....Fred, I wished I woulda thought of the dubbing idea earlier. I'd say it would have produced the look I was hoping for. I'm satisfied with it. Here's the final, and it looks sooo much better in person. 1ft away and you don't even know it was and imposter! It would appear I have some learning to do! I believe I'm done with realistic's for now. Caddis season is upon us folks here in Tennessee!

DSC02015.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

Thanks again,

Brett

Alright, I'm done with this fly...I refuse to look at it anymore. I didn't care for the cdc and the way it came out on macro, so I scraped it off and used Fred's drop in dubbing technique. I also reworked the permanant marker to the bee's abdomen and killed off most of the yellow. Then I put roughly two thick layers of dubbing allowed it to almost dry completely and then more thouroughly worked in the dubbing. The sulphur orange dubbing did the trick and it looks better now, but I know I'm capable of a better finished product. This was a major learning lessong and I appreciate the tip Fred! I've also picked up a much better leg material now. I learned alot but I won't be coming back to the bee for a while. On to things that are creepy and crawly. A spider is in order!

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02025.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

Thanks for your alls input as always! Fred thanks again.

~Brett

Wow Brett, what a huge improvement. You obviously have the skills. You just need to build an arsenal of techniques. If I can ever help just let me know.

Fred

I have been following several of the topic threads in this particular forum...I never cease being amazed at the talent and knowledge of most of you fellas (and gals)...tremendous craftmanship. I am in awe of your vision and skill...it takes an artist to truly "see" a fly and a real architect to create it

I have been following several of the topic threads in this particular forum...I never cease being amazed at the talent and knowledge of most of you fellas (and gals)...tremendous craftmanship. I am in awe of your vision and skill...it takes an artist to truly "see" a fly and a real architect to create it

I'm a bit flaberghasted by your response and I appreciate your response! Makes me want to tie some more. There are alotta great tiers on here, I too enjoy seeing there work!

~Brett