Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dunkard_trapper

Adding treble trailers to streamers

Treble hooks are bad :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: They do very bad things to fish (as serious are ripping off the lips) and it can eventually kill the fish. please stay away from these hooks. Most streamers are fine the way they are

come on, guys... The vast majority of OTHER kinds of fishermen use lures with trebles, without killing every fish they catch.

I've had times when fishing streamers for trout, that I've seen them nipping the very tail of the fly, and wondered if a trailer would make a difference. I don't know if a little treble or a little single hook would work better.

But to answer the question, no, it would not be easy to add to a fly already tied. You could do it, but it would look like crap and probably ruin the action of the fly.

By the way Brian, I've found a 1/0 or so single hook to work better for catfish, for me at least!

The only way you could add one to a fly that is already made is to attach a small piece of mono to the hook bend and connect the treble to the other end. However it will most likely become tangled around the streamer and will also add to snagging the bottom/trees/rocks etc. Do not use treble hooks for trout unless you plan on eating them. THEY WILL KILL TROUT, I have seen this first hand while observing bait fisherman as a guide. Trout are usually smaller on average and have paper thin mouths. Other freshwater fish catfish, bass have a bonier mouth and can withstand the stress these hooks put on them. Treble hooks can seriously damage a fish’s ability to feed by harming their mouth, eyes and gills, ultimately killing the fish over time. Use a smaller single hook for the stinger, this will help hook fish that are nipping at the tail and prevent damaging the fish's mouth. For conventional fishing, with the intent to keep fish for food, treble hooks serve their purpose. Silver Spiders/Texas Caddis are BAD NEWS if your intentions include catch and release. In the spirit of Fly-Fishing there is no need to use them. I also highly recommend pinching the barbs on single hooks for trout fishing. Most trout streams in the West require this practice along with single hooks, read all stream regulations and rules before fishing public water. :)

Heck I even smash down the barbs on my saltwater flys. I figure my lack of pressure was the reason for a lost fish rather than the lack of a barb. I figure it has helped me improve my skill set. With an albie running at you you sure learn to pick up line fast!! :punk:

Also, check your regs. In some places you cannot fly fish with trebles - whatever you are fishing for. I have to agree that I don't think they are quite the evil that they are made out to be, but I do think that a single hook with an offset point should be good for those short biters.

Deeky

Maybe a longer shank? Adding a treble hook to a fly is like making a martini with vodka it gets the job done but it ain't the real thing.

I would stay away from trebles as well unless your fishing for sturdier game like Bass.

Also, you can make the trailing hood a single hook, that works too.

However the easiest thing to do is tie shorter flies. More than once I've made on stream modifications to Wooley Buggers whose tails are too long -- a quick shortening and the short strikes turn into solid hookups. Less tail is the answer.