Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Small plastic bead chain

I've gotten alot of flys with small black plastic bead chain used for eyes in fly swaps. Where do You get it from? All the craft stores around me do not have them in black. Metal bead chain I have and hate wasting hours fileing off the metal burrs on the ends. A google search found them in lots of 500 at 30 cents a pop. I don't need that many LoL!

Brent

Good Day,

That's odd Brent. I get mine from Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, Jo-Anne Fabrics, Ben Franklin (do those even exist anymore?) etc. Wish you luck bud...

Steelie

You can get bead chain at the stores mentioned in the above post. I have never found them small enough to fit my tastes. I always use the mono eyes in plastic.

If you got the time.......I've heard of some guys burning their own eyes from some 30-50# mono. I haven't done it myself......yet. But I know that it can be done if you don't need a gazillion of them.... :bugeyes:

For damsel eyes, shrimp, etc. I just burn my own from 20# or 30# hard mason leader material. Right after I burn them, I use black powder paint to get them to a solid black color ( Instructions at

). For larger eyes, the beads at the above stores will work. I've also seem folks use mono with a bead superglued onto the end - looked pretty good as well.

TxEngr

I bought some black bead chain from Joann Fabrics several years ago. They're molded onto the string, not strung on. I recall they had several sizes, and were in the sewing section, not in with the craft beads. I also use round plastic Mardi Gras throw beads for eyes on bass flies. The 7 or 8 mm size works the best for me & that's the smallest I've found. They're quite inexpensive, and come in some great colors.

If you are looking for use on crustaceans like crayfish etc. you can use the heads off of brushes (check out global fly fisher for more on that one- dip them in epoxy). One trip to wally world and you are set on that one- might was well pick up some sally hanson's on the way through the beauty aisle :blink: . I have found the plastic bead chain at the local hardware store for real cheap but it didn't come in black and didn't give a good look. I can't say I've ever had a problem with the burrs on the metal ones- the ends tuck in the eyes for a bit of added rattle.

Thanks Everyone. I turned Hobby Lobby upside down looking for them in black and JoAnns and Michaels only had them in white or clear. I'll keep looking.

I'm using the small metal beadchain eyes on size 8 Spring Wigglers with a coating of Sally Hansen hard as nails over em.

Antron_Wigglers_2_Small_.jpg

Thanks Brent

Hi Brent, I get them from a local office supply that uses them for neck ID tag chains in 500 foot rolls. Black, brown, peacock, olive. I did find this place on line, that may help. http://www.ctlaminating.com/Pages/ID/ChainsBeaded.html but have never done business with them.

Cheers, Futzer.