Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monty3777

Fly fishing in Ireland

I know I should be posting on talkflyfishing but I can't get in with my username and password so I'll post the question here. I am traveling to Dublin in the first part of August and would love to spend a day fly fishing. My wife will be with me and it would be good if the areas we visit have something for her as well. Can any of you recommend a shop and guide?

I can't help on the guide or shop- but I was in Dun Laoghaire in the summer of 1997 and fished along the seawall of the harbor. It's the port just beside Dublin. I want to say it was late July. We caught mackerels up to about 2 pounds, and lots of little "perch" looking things... up to about a pound. It was barrels of fun on a light rod and streamers. Even caught a couple mackerel on top when they busted schools of bait. If you don't mind goofing around in the salt it might be worth checking out. If I remember correctly, right outside the harbor are streets with any manner of shops and whatnot. I loved it, and the people both there and up in Derry, N. Ireland, were by and large some of the most friendly, genuinely happy folks I've ever met anywhere in the world. Even if you don't drink, you simply must go get a real Guinness in a pub somewhere there. Period. Since then, I've always said Ireland and Scotland are the two places I'd be willing to go, outside the USA. Good luck on your trip and I hope you have a wonderful time.

try flytyingireland.com if it still is there they used to have some links to guides and fishing in Ireland....