Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Tying Paintballer6

Beginner Trout Patterns?

Hey guys. I've been laying low for a while tying me easy gold ribbed hare's ear flies, adams, etc. But i'm running out of ideas and could use some help with some fairly simple dry and wet trout flies. Any patterns would help. Thanks a TON!!!!!! :lol:

Hey guys. I've been laying low for a while tying me easy gold ribbed hare's ear flies, adams, etc. But i'm running out of ideas and could use some help with some fairly simple dry and wet trout flies. Any patterns would help. Thanks a TON!!!!!! :lol:

Paintballer, I'm no expert but one of the things that helped me most is picking up a couple of "beginner" books and tying every fly in them:

- Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying"

- Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer's "Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying"

- Peter Gathercole's "Fly Tying for Beginners"

- Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple"

Pheasant tail nymph, copper john, woolly buggers (in all colors and sizes), elk hair caddis, e/c caddis, ants, comparadun, griffith's gnat, just to name a few. Hope this helps ;-)

John

Funny you should ask, just a day or two ago I added a dry fly pattern called the F Fly for that very reason, it's a very simple fly. All you'll need is a couple of CDC feathers and some pheasant tail fibers. It should be on the 1st or 2nd page in the fly pattern database. Really easy to tie, looks great, and trout love to eat it!

Here's a pic:

post-20827-1240378032_thumb.jpg

Cody

I would add Dave Hughes book "Essential Trout Flies" to your collection. It is as the title suggests, the essential patterns that one should have first in their boxes no mater where you fish. You will need to understand what's in your streams, caddis, mayflies, midges, all of the above . . . . to pick the patterns.

Hey guys! thanks a ton. Keep 'em coming :D

What's in your local streams? If you can tell us that, we can suggest more patterns. I hate to suggest things that are not in your area.

The absolute easiest to tie (which will regularly catch fish) are midges.

Check out: http://www.danica.com/flytier/ccraven/ccraven.htm

Scroll down the page and you will see very effective patterns that are beginner friendly. Try the miracle midge.

I know there's probably a way to look up midges on the pattern data base here, but I never have any luck trying.

Wayne P makes a good point. Knowing your local streams really helps. Since I'm in CA, and fish primarily the west, some of my online recipe sources are:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flybox.htm

http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/...rn-recipe.shtml

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

John

Its me again... I am in Lakeport, California on Clearlake. So I mainly fish up north by Truckee and Mt. Shasta. There are lots of may fly nymphs, grass hoppers, ants (like everywhere else :P), rock worms, etc. Any ideas for patterns?

Foam hoppers (may I suggest the bull's eye hopper in particuler? :rolleyes: :P :j_k: ), Pheasant tail nymps, Hair's Ear Nymps, Peeping caddis to name a few

Its me again... I am in Lakeport, California on Clearlake. So I mainly fish up north by Truckee and Mt. Shasta. There are lots of may fly nymphs, grass hoppers, ants (like everywhere else :P), rock worms, etc. Any ideas for patterns?

OK for Mayflies . . . The standard Pheasant Tail nymph is always a good one. Tie it in a couple sizes, some with and without bead heads. Also tie some soft-hackle pheasant tails, I tie them mainly with bead heads. Copper Johns also. The Hare's Ear is a good one, I tie tan and olive. You can add flashback to all these, some with and some without.

I don't fish many hoppers, mine are all store bought so I'll leave that to others.

Nearly all trout flies are simple it just depends on where you are fishing, for example I fish the South Platte in Colorado so the fly is a simple pattern however I need to tie it on atleast an 18 but for best results 22 or smaller. Before I had a specific destination or fished that much I looked threw my book of patterns and just tied different flies up for the heck of it. But what you could also do is check the hatch report for where you fish or somewhere you want to fish and tie up the flies to match, there are endless patterns out there, you just need to get keyed in on them.

but here are some ideas for you:

Blue Winged Olive (probably the easiest dry fly to tie)

Elk Hair Caddis

Trico

PMD

March Brown

Pheasant Tail Nymph (always good to have nymphs in the fly box)

try tying the your dry flies parachute, they work really well and it saves you a ton of money by just purchasing hackle rather than spending hundreds of dollors on different wings when you can get hundreds of wing posts for $3 with just Calf Fur or Calf Tail (I prefer the fur) but I think it's mostly personal preferance.

Have fun tying - Andrew

I bought Charlie Craven's beginner book a couple weeks ago. It has alot of great flies. I feel the instructions are clear and very well done. Highly recommend it. It has Hares Ear, Pheasant Tails, Copper Johns, Prince's, Wulfs, Humpy's, etc.