Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Furled leaders to flip big flies??

Thanks for the links...gonna have to try my hand at this this spring...If anyone else has any input, keep it coming...the more info, the better...I think many forum members will firn this thread highly valuable...Can't get this much info anywhere else!

I found out today when when I tested them is that I did not have a tight enough furl in the leader and it started to unfurl. Make sure when you make your shorb loop you pull it tight. I did not and they closed on my fly line and tippet.

Using a method similar to the one of Kathy's video, I twist each leg and twist enough to shorten the overall length of each leg 10% before I let them furl together. While a little subjective to tension, etc., it was teh recomended twist and has done well for me.

Deeky

I found out today when when I tested them is that I did not have a tight enough furl in the leader and it started to unfurl. Make sure when you make your shorb loop you pull it tight. I did not and they closed on my fly line and tippet.

Duly noted...thanks for the tip

One of the outstanding attributes of a furled leader that has been made out of fly tying thread is that, if you hold the butt end between thumb and index finger and try to cast it, it will cast with beautiful loops! I have used only thread furled leaders, so cannot speak to this quality in mono or spiderwire furled leaders. They also have a nice "stretch" to them, which I like. Have not fishe weed infested waters, so can't comment onhow the do in such waters. I have treated mine with Barbour Thornproof Dressing to waterproof them. I presently have them on 5 wt through 9 wt lines, but have not yet thrown big bugs with the 9 wt, so can't comment on it's ability to handle the bigger stuff. I love the five wt.!! It handles dries quite well.

I highly recommend using the Shorb knot to tie them off and create your terminal loops at the same time. It is a little tricky to tie, but with several pounds of patience, it CAN be done! Skip himself ties them in a flash!! But then he has had a lot of practice. In addition to patience, you need a small hook tool like Cortland used to sell with their braided leader material or that you can get in any fabric shop. I think the fabric shops know them as Knit Pickers. They are simply miniature rug hooks.

I always do the small end first. 1) insert the hook through the terminal loop and reach across and catch the standing portion with the hook and pull the standing leg through the loop. You now have a Lariat-like, or Lasso, configuration. Now comes the tricky part. 2) Create a small loop with the standing portion through the terminal loop, making a lasso. NOW untwist the standing line at some point in the loop near, but opposite, the terminal loop in the furled portion, and poke the hook tool through the standing portion between the two legs. (This is the trying part.) Reach across the lasso loop and grasp the opposite side of the lasso loop and pull it to and through the standing portion, pulling all of the leader that was in the lasso loop through between the two legs, creating a new loop. Now, using the hook tool, put it through the new loop and pull as hard as you can to tighten things up (much like a Perfection Loop). When you hear it "pop", you know that it is completely and totally tight. You have just finished putting a" knotless" permanent loop in the tip end of your leader. Kick back and have a big glass of German tea. Once you have finished the tea, it is time to repeat the process for the butt end of you leader.

Here is a link to complete instructions on making furled leaders and instructions and photos of Skip Shorb's knot.

www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/furled-leader/furled-leader.html

Furled Leaders; Try 'Em, You'll Like 'Em!

Frank

I have some that are made with mono and some that are made from uni thread. I am starting to lean towards the uni thread ones for trout and panfish. The ones that are made with uni thread are more supple and present smaller flies with more finesse. I use the others when fishing big flies for carp, bass, pike and the such.

I made up a couple of leaders made from monoflilament embroydery thread. This material is about .005 inch diameter and sells in the local sewing department for $1.69/300 yards. At that rate, the leaders are basically free. These leaders are 4 1/2 foot long and small, as I was using them on my 3 weight for some trout fishing. Most Minnesota 'trout streams" are narrow muddy ditches that contain no fish.....but the leaders worked quite well. It was a pleasure to accurately place a small dry up against the bank, roll cast it up under a tree, or stretch it out to the far side of a pool.

But enough of that, in two weeks the season opens up here for Bass and it will be time to get out the 8 weight. The furled leaders I make for Bass fishing are 7 1/2 foot long and made from 2# test Berkley Trielene XL. I don't have any trouble picking up crud and they do a great job of turning over my biggest bugs....Dahlberg Divers tied on 2/0 hooks. I use Schorb loops on each end and typically use 10 or 12 pound test tippet.

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet is the matter of stretch. These leaders do have a little bit of give in them if you pull hard enough. I haven't noticed any problem with hook sets (sharpen your hooks!) but rather I think you have a little bit of insurance when you have a good fish on a short leash close to the boat.

Steve- what method do you use to make your leaders? Do you use a jig (board with dowels)?

Thanks.

Yes, I have an 8 foot long piece of 1 X 4 with wooden dowels mounted on it. I have mounting holes in different positions depending on what type of leader I want to make.

I have created another thread as a public thank you to Mr. Root. BUT, those who would like to continue this thread by sharing leader tying techniques, PLEASE do so...This thread can be archived and used as a great reference for anyone wanting information on furled leaders...loving where this thread has already gone. :D