Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vices

Beadheads...

Just wondering how many use beadheads, how often and whats your favorite technique to fish them.. ?

'Beadheads' is a relative idea, depending on what's being tied. It is easier to associate Dumbbell eye-weighted style flies to salt water, though I think Striblue has done one or two things with bulletheads.

Certainly, beadheads can be used in construction of larger saltwater style flies. Several styles come to mind like Tinker Mackerel, Peanut Bunker (Menhaden; Pogie), the various small baitfish grouped into a category called "silversides" (of which baby pogies are a member.) Sliders and divers and crabs; attempts have been made to string beads to imitate segmented worms- though they become more like a conventional lure than a fly dressing at that level.

Use your imagination and let's all see where you go with it. Good Luck!

I haven't used bead heads in saltwater. Do tie up an occasional Jiggie Fly which use a Jiggy head. The way the head is designed the hook point rides up, and gives a nice up and down motion to the fly as it's retrieved. I use these in place of bead heads on my larger fresh water flies.

I use goldbead stones(size 10-6) when im fishin steelies in deeper pools.. with a fast stop an go type retrieve, they seem to like anything with a lil flash on it. I also tye scuds with the dumbbell weights, they make great eyes, the weight helps you feel where the fly is, and makes it alot easier to imitate the action...

Sign in to follow this