Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

Any reviews of Silverado Vise?

I know it's not fashionable to talk about vises which cost less than $150, but I'm looking for a spare/second/travel vise and presently can't afford a lot.

Does anyone own and use the Terra Silverado? I've got a $25 Cabela's gift card which would knock half off the $50 price tag. It looks like a halfway decent vise, a stainless, adjustable head angle model of the "Master" type vise I tied on for a lot of years until I could upgrade.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear from anyone who has bought one.

Thanks-

I had one. I just didn't like it at all. It just wouldn't hold hooks well at all. My old Thompson A is superior to it in every way.

Sorry but I think you'd be better off with something else.

Greg

I know it's not fashionable to talk about vises which cost less than $150...

I believe you are confusing form and function. The problem is not that people are driven to spend a lot of money on a vise just to keep up with the Jones. The issue is no one makes a decent rotary vise for under $150...

Now, to complicate matters even more, you are looking for a "good" vise under $50. If one exists, I haven't seen it yet. I've played with the Terra Silverado and it is like everything else they make, cheap. You have to decide what you want. A serviceable vise or a cheap vise. The two are mutually exclusive. Right now for the around $50 range, I think the Griffin Superior 2A is the best choice. If all I needed was a cheap vise, then any Sunrise (made in India) knock off would serve just fine...and that would still be cheaper than the Silverado.

I believe you are confusing form and function. The problem is not that people are driven to spend a lot of money on a vise just to keep up with the Jones. The issue is no one makes a decent rotary vise for under $150...

Now, to complicate matters even more, you are looking for a "good" vise under $50. If one exists, I haven't seen it yet. I've played with the Terra Silverado and it is like everything else they make, cheap. You have to decide what you want. A serviceable vise or a cheap vise. The two are mutually exclusive. Right now for the around $50 range, I think the Griffin Superior 2A is the best choice. If all I needed was a cheap vise, then any Sunrise (made in India) knock off would serve just fine...and that would still be cheaper than the Silverado.

Thanks whatfly- but I'm not confused. I've tied on Renzetti, Dyna-King, Regal, HMH, Griffin, Thompson, as well as a bunch of Sunrise/Terra vises over the decades. Finally when I was able to afford a "good" vise I settled on a Peak which is, in my eyes, the most bulletproof for the money. Form versus function has boiled down to what the market will support. $150 is still a lot of money to a lot of people. You'll find my posts here on these fora in defense of a good quality rotary vise quite numerous. There also certainly is a "Jones" factor involved. I tied thousands of flies for many years on an Indian "Master" vise until I warped the jaw trying to secure overly large saltwater hooks. I don't agree that "serviceable" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive. No question at all that the more expensive vises are just plain nicer and more finely machined and have a host of other luxuries over the Indian stuff. I do take some measure of defense at your statement that there is no "good" vise under $50... if that were true, a hell of a lot of kids and other beginners would never take their first steps into this hobby. It has to hold a hook, period. 30 years ago, my Dad bought me a vise in a bag, I remember the price tag to this day, $6.95. I don't know how many hundreds of flies and panfish jigs I tied on it. We caught lots of fish with them too.

You're right, if the only difference is shiny, allegedly stainless steel, then an even cheaper vise would serve as well.

I was curious as to why I couldn't find a single customer review of this Silverado vise anywhere on the net. I guess it's not worth bothering with. Thanks for the input guys- I'll stay away from it.

I agree that I don't think you can get a "good" vise for under $50. But it's possible to get a serviceable vise for that price. I've tied on a sunrise vise that I think still costs less than $15 and did a pretty good job. It didn't rotate and no it probably won't last a lifetime. But it worked pretty darn well. Another exception is a used Thompson A vise. You can find them on ebay for way less than $50 and it will last a long, long time (even used) and is a high quality tool. In fact I still tie on mine sometimes.

Greg

A number of years ago I found an old thompson B type cast iron tying vise at a yard sale for 2 bucks, I have an HMH and a couple

of other "good" vises but 90% of all my flies get tied on that dinosour, it holds as good or better than my HMH, it doesn't have the height adjustment like my other vises have so i built my tying area to fit the old one, I came out pretty good under 50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would second the idea of looking for a used Thompson Model A. I have been tying on one for more than 30 years, and it is still going strong.

I would second the idea of looking for a used Thompson Model A. I have been tying on one for more than 30 years, and it is still going strong.

Me too. There was a looooong period of time I was away from FFishing and tying, but I got back in a few years ago and the old A holds hooks just fine. It is +30 years old but very low mileage. I have been mulling a HMH, but I may just wait.

I made a mistake. I knew I should have bought the Griffin 2A, but I couldn't wait. I was leaving this past week for a trip to see my brother, and I needed to buy a vise for my niece for her 13th birthday so that I could teach her some tying. I know that the Griffin is the way to go, but I ran out of time. Gander Mountain had the Terra Silverado.

It was a piece of junk out of the package, with the cam being gritty and hard to adjust, and the rotary barrel not holding tension. My niece doesn't know any better yet, but after trying to tie a couple flies on the vise I was embarrassed that this was my gift to her. An old Thompson would have been light years better, and the Griffin would have been just great.

Within two days and less than 20 flies tied on the vise, the cam pin bent to the point of the jaws no longer holding hooks. And these were small hooks - size 10 and 12. No excuse for the vise to fail that quickly. I took it to Gander Mountain and they agreed to refund my money. I will now be buying the vise I should have bought her in the first place.

If someone has one and loves it, I apologize for slamming your vise. To everyone else, don't buy one of these. Save up a few more dollars and buy a vise that will treat you better.

I use a Thompson Model A and doubt I will ever need to replace it. Would be nice if companies now would make a vise similar to it, actually. I dont need rotary features or this or that, I just need something that holds a hook.

My previous vise was a made in India one for 8 bucks from a Gander Mountain, and it lasted 2 years. Not bad for 8 bucks. I would buy a few of those before i shelled out 200$+ on a vise.

Thanks for all the input. There is a huge difference between an $8 vise that gets the job done for two years, and a $50 (silverado) vise that self destructs after a few flies. Seems like it was a good idea to ask for input here on FTF about that vise.

In the time since I asked, I got a really good deal on an HMH Spartan- less than I'd ever thought I'd see one for. Although I couldn't really afford it, I bought it anyway. It's a very nice piece of equipment and seems to work well. I don't have any doubt that with correct use, it will last my lifetime, or at least until my son needs his own vise. Until then, it will be my backup and traveling vise. Much better than a $50 mistake.

I made a mistake. I knew I should have bought the Griffin 2A, but I couldn't wait. I was leaving this past week for a trip to see my brother, and I needed to buy a vise for my niece for her 13th birthday so that I could teach her some tying. I know that the Griffin is the way to go, but I ran out of time. Gander Mountain had the Terra Silverado.

It was a piece of junk out of the package, with the cam being gritty and hard to adjust, and the rotary barrel not holding tension. My niece doesn't know any better yet, but after trying to tie a couple flies on the vise I was embarrassed that this was my gift to her. An old Thompson would have been light years better, and the Griffin would have been just great.

Within two days and less than 20 flies tied on the vise, the cam pin bent to the point of the jaws no longer holding hooks. And these were small hooks - size 10 and 12. No excuse for the vise to fail that quickly. I took it to Gander Mountain and they agreed to refund my money. I will now be buying the vise I should have bought her in the first place.

If someone has one and loves it, I apologize for slamming your vise. To everyone else, don't buy one of these. Save up a few more dollars and buy a vise that will treat you better.

You might look at the sunrise AA vise. It's modeled after the Thompson A. Not as good a quality as the Thompson but really not bad at all. I tied on one off and on for 5 years. It holds hooks pretty well. It is light years better than the silverado and only costs 10 or 15 bucks. It might be the way to go for your niece especially if she's unsure if she will stay with tying or not.

Greg

I just got my first decent vice about 7 months ago and before that all i had was less than 10 bucks, the thing still holds hooks steady after 5 years of abuse