Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

DON'T GO ALONE!!!!

On Saturday of this last week, A friend of mine and I decided to hike into areas unfished. We made it in and found the water conditions higher than was optimum. we had a few fish caught but wate was just to high and fast to properly fished. on the way out about a 1/4 mile shy f the groomed tail prop i fell twisting my knee severely and wrenching my lower back! If it wasn't for my buddy Mike I would have been on the local news as a rescue case. serious shit! I am never going to fish an unpopulated place alone again! I am luck that Mike was there, He helped me out and made sure I scaled some gnarly rocky outcrops that I couldn't have done alone. I am high as a kite on muscle relaxers and pain relievers so you gotta excuse my ramblings. so take a buddy!!!!!!!!!!! even if it's someone you don't know that well!

Got an update for those who care. I just got back from my Doc's office and te MRI results..... 2 fractures, one on the tibial lobe where the ACL attaches plus a torn ACL, Fracture of the MCL lobe with a torn MCL, plus some cartilage damage and so on and so forth. Gonna have to go under the knife, will see the surgeon next tuesday and probably get some hardware ie, screws and pins and the like. Just keep me in your prayers, and keep in mind that You guys who swap with me are in for a treat as I will have to spend my time tyin if I ain't fishin!

I work with a guy who commonly fishes at the timberline, in remote places by himself. Anyway about 5 years ago he fell in the stream and broke his ankle. He crawled out of the stream and then crawled 5 miles down the trail until he could get cell service. Needless to say he does not fish alone anymore. My wife has always been really paranoid when it comes to me fishing alone, so I just don't do it. I think it is just good old fashoned common sense..

C

Hope you get well soon, in the main time enjoy those painkillers ;)

Good you had your buddy to be at your rescue.

All the best C

That's a real problem there. The reason I fly fish is to get away from everyone else! If I go alone there's no arguing about where to fish, how long, upstream or down, beer now or beer later. But the don't go alone story doesn't sound appealing either. I've found myself climbing along a loose rock shelf above a 10 foot drop a few times thinking "now this is stupid." I might have to re-think this....

Dude I'm really sorry to hear about your accident but whenever i hurt myself the sour mash and pain killers together work for me! to Quote pink floyd "comfortably numb" (Just don't try to tie in that state) LOL

cheers chuckandducker

The doc is on a snails pace prognosis plan: first we stop and breath. then we look at the chart and realize we don't have the xrays. then we walk out of the room to confer with an imaginary colleague, then we come back, minus the xrays and decide that we first have to schedule to have an MRI done. This won't be till thursday so in the meantime here are some pain killers, some anti inflamatories and some sleepy nigh nigh pills to make it through the next few days. I think they want to string me along just long enough to get me to become a pill head and too apathetic to get my knee actually fixed. Maybe then I'll just give in and go on permanent disability and become another mindless drug addicted american citizen! GEE ya think I am a paranoid conspiracy theorist? It's just the man's way of keepin us down!!!!

Always bring a cell phone with you but don't carry it as you normally would. if you fall in the water and the phone gets wet it is useless!!!!

PUT IT IN A ZIPLOCK TYPE BAG.

I hope the knee isn't that bad! I just re-constructive surgery for a blown ACL 7 weeks ago. Not suppose to wade fish for another 9 weeks!

Freak,

Glad to here it wasn't as serious as it could have been. I DID blow out a knee, fishing alone, in a small canyon river. Blew out ALL the ligaments when I slipped, toes first, between to large rocks, in the middle of the flow, locked at the knee, then fell forward essentially ripping the entire knee completely loose ( I'm an outta chape fat guy). All conncective tissue is badly scarred and the patella "floats". I still manage to wade, but the pain is sometimes hellacious. Looking at a complete knee replacement in the very near future. Bruising appears on both sides of the knee just from mowing the grass (scar tissue constantly ripping and tearing). Crawled part of the way out of the canyon that day;once shock took over, I limpsed out when the leg went numb. State Police and local rescue squad assisted me up the canyon wall. Trooper told me I had been missing for about 23 hrs...I thought I had been gone for only a couple of hrs....injuries are a serious possibility when we fish the way we fish. I'm a lot more cautious with my footing and always try to keep my feet "squarely under om shoulders" to evenly distribute my girth....But I ramble... I hope good things for you and a speedy recovery....and after reading your post, I think we have the same doctor! :P

Always bring a cell phone with you but don't carry it as you normally would. if you fall in the water and the phone gets wet it is useless!!!!

PUT IT IN A ZIPLOCK TYPE BAG.

A cell phone? i tried that once, it's a pretty expensive way to tell the time! other than that it just takes up space. doesn't work were I go fishin, and I already have a water proof camera. In my case i need "the spot" My wife was going tot get me one for my birthday in June but since this weekend she has said i ain't leavin home again without one strapped to my nuts! ouch! She was shppoing today at the bass pro for one just this afternoon. If teh medical wasn't so dam expensive I think she'd have already bought it. i guess asking for a delorme earthmate pn 40 is a bit out fothe question! maybe for christmas. thanks for all the support guys! remeber pain is weakness leaving our bodies and also a way to know we are still alive and kickin even if it's with one leg now!

Been there, done that, had a cell phone, in a ziplock waterproof map case. No service on the cell phone. Took 4 hours to build a crutch and hobble back to the car. Now I always go with a fishing buddy, and fortunatly, he doesn't drink beer. Good luck with the recovery.

Blew out my knee 10 yrs ago jumping from a boat to dry land....tore ligaments and my ACL...spent a summer in a leg cast & crutches & had to fight with my DR. to do the surgery because he was saying that " I can get along without an ACL, & I'm too old " !!!! Finally got the surgery 5 mos. later. I now have some screws in my knee & its about 80 %. I continue to fish alone .... I always have used a wading staff but now I NEVER fish without one. I would definitely ditch the pain pills though .....it's not worth the constipation.

Freak,

Glad to here it wasn't as serious as it could have been. I DID blow out a knee, fishing alone, in a small canyon river. Blew out ALL the ligaments when I slipped, toes first, between to large rocks, in the middle of the flow, locked at the knee, then fell forward essentially ripping the entire knee completely loose ( I'm an outta chape fat guy). All conncective tissue is badly scarred and the patella "floats". I still manage to wade, but the pain is sometimes hellacious. Looking at a complete knee replacement in the very near future. Bruising appears on both sides of the knee just from mowing the grass (scar tissue constantly ripping and tearing). Crawled part of the way out of the canyon that day;once shock took over, I limpsed out when the leg went numb. State Police and local rescue squad assisted me up the canyon wall. Trooper told me I had been missing for about 23 hrs...I thought I had been gone for only a couple of hrs....injuries are a serious possibility when we fish the way we fish. I'm a lot more cautious with my footing and always try to keep my feet "squarely under om shoulders" to evenly distribute my girth....But I ramble... I hope good things for you and a speedy recovery....and after reading your post, I think we have the same doctor! :P

He may still go alone sometimes to his favorite places but he at least tells me (his wife) somewhat of a location in case he doesn't come home around the time he has said or close to I know where to send help to and where to start trying to find him. The bad thing is more times than not I am right there with him and nobody may know where either one of us are. ;)

i probably should fish with someone all the time but i don't. my friends are in track, baseball, and i have soccer a few days a week. i carry a cell phone with me and i have my gerber survival knife with me 99% of the time i'm by myself. i have to call my mom when i get to my spot and when i leave. but i think if i went somewhere way out in the middle of nowhere, i'd probably bring a friend. i've been lucky and never broken a bone or done anything more than sprain my ankle. i hope you get better soon man.

Hey Ross, sorry to hear it, hope you feel better soon. Cheers, Jeff.

When I do go alone I always:

Let Mrs Futzer know exactly when I plan to be to the car and I make a habit of calling her, everytime and on time. She knows if I am more than 90 min late, to call the cavalry. I use the call from the parking lot method so the cavalry has a jump on daylight. I use my GPS or google earth to let her know the coordinates of where I will be and where I plan on parking. I write down my Liscence plate #, my VIN #, and the make and model of the car for her. When I am doing the fish til we drop days, don't wait up, I take a buddy or two.

Carry a loud whistle, waterproof matches, a quarter roll of duct tape, water, a bright orange poncho, 10 large tywraps, a few granola bars, a cell phone/gps in a waterproof case, a survival tool/knife, blister tape or mole skin. a wad of TP, a blackdiamond LED head lamp and a collapsable wading staff. You can make many helpful things with duct tape and tywraps!