Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

How creative can we tyers be?

wink.gif This is such a cool thread! Flyfisherman/tyers are of some of the most inovative and resourceful people I have ever met. Especially those of us that are too poor or tight. I made a bobbin cradle when I got my regal vice a feww years ago. Took a good quality coated clothes hanger, put a double right angle in it and set the height I needed with a little dip in the end for the bobbin to rest on. Then, with plenty of straightened out slack, made coil wraps from top to bottom along the vice stem (about 6 or 7). Took the tag end at the top and bent it down at a hard 90* parallel to the coils/stem and hooked it around the extended rod that runs parallel to the base of the vice. This supports the rod on a now "spring" so that u can move it up and down on the stem wherever you need it. The weight of the bobbin/thread applies enough tension to hold the assembly at the height you want on the stem. Also put shrink wrap on the cradle tip to protect the thread. When not in use you simply swing it out of the way! wink.gif

Tons of great info here guys! I'm gonna pin this one so any new members get a chance to see the tips & tricks.

Again, great info and guys!

I line my bench with a piece of white craft store felt. This was all of loose material does not fly all over the place and stays put. This is a great thread headbang.gif

How bout using a 2 x 4 with a dozen small holes drilled in it. Then take a dozen spent .22 cal shells and glue them in place. Makes a great hair stacker when tying up small dries (i.e. EHC). All you need to do is put the hair in, give it a couple of whacks on the table and your ready to tie.

I like the idea of the biot tree. I always have them going all over the place.

Lot of ideas, this is great!

One thing about collecting road kill is it can be illegal. Kinda found that out the hard way collecting a bucktail. I didn't get a ticket but the warden didn't let me keep it either (I think he wanted it smile.gif).

I've got 3 of those pet clippers but do ya think I would have thought of that?

Just got a couple of lame ideas but they work for me:

Use a piece of drinking straw slit up the side to hold the hackle back when finishing the head.

I use a syringe with needle from the farm supply store for my head cement. I have a regular needle that fits inside anchored in cork for a cap.

Use vaious sizes of metal conduit from the hardware store or nearest building site to cut popper bodys

Marty- Great reminders of tried&true methods! Thanks.

Simple Drying Rack (idea stolen from wherever Whomever made it to be sold in Orvis stores for way too much money!!! ohmy.gif )

Wood base

Dowel stock

Bead chain

Wood glue

Drill (blind hole) base for dowel risers; your choice of height (4, 6 in. ???.)

Slot dowel heads for perpendicular insertion of bead chain 'clothesline', to hang finished flies on.

Glue dowel risers into blind socket in wood base.

Insert chain clothesline.

Hang flies.

Here is a good idea on keeping your bench clean. When tying with deerhair or bucktails I lay a sheet of "SWIFT" dry mop sheet on the table below my vise. The natural static that this product has works wonders on keeping the hair, fir and feathers from falling all over. They are some what cheap compared to the time of havine to clean every stinking hair up that gets mashed in the carpet.

Nicholas huh.gif

Steeldrifter, this was a really good topic to start... thumbsup.gif These guys are full of good ideas.. keep em comin guys.. rockon.gif in my experience i have seen alot of people tye extended bodies holding the hair straight out.. i dont know how many people know this trick but.. for anyone who doesnt, use a sewing needle an pre-tye them.. slide it off when your finished.. makes a stubborn job much easier.. wallbash.gif

Okay, Now- Everybody Listen Up!

This thread is proof that ALL these neat tricks and Tips (get it- TIPS!) can be posted in "Tips of the Day"

Tips is NOT! 'closed to access for posting' to everybody but Me. All I ask is you review past postings; if your tip is a repeat of something filed since the beginning, please bring that thread up to date. If you have a new-fangled submission y'all wants tooooo reeeeeeeporrrrt-

Have at it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

QUOTE (DFix @ Aug 4 2004, 03:23 PM)
This thread is proof that ALL these neat tricks and Tips (get it- TIPS!) can be posted in "Tips of the Day"

Dfix thats the reason i started this post because the general membership cant start a "new topic" in the "tip of the day".

WOWEE KAZOWEE! - WHO THE F#&@ DID THAT??? headbang.gif dunno.gif

HEY ADMIN! - May we please change the parameters of the Tips of the Day Forum to accommodate members' postings??? blink.gif help.gif

Gee Dave the "Tip of the Day" forum was only set up that way since it's inception rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

I just changed the permissions so that any registered member may now post a tip in that forum.

That was brother Hubbard's idea to have it work that way, so I'm telling him you thought his idea sucked. unsure.gif

Mr. Mullis:

Thank You for your timely reply to my query and proposed changes. I appreciate your immediate attention and diligence in making this forum more "user friendly."

Thank You, also, for volunteering to notify Mr. Hubbard of my shock and disbelief when, after all this time, this was brought to my attention only today. Again, I appreciate your consideration; however, you need not trouble yourself with such things-

I am capable of conveying that message myself.

Signed,

Egg-Faced in New England blink.gif

Hey Eggface,

Think we should move the thread now that the forum is open to all? dunno.gif

As for Hubbard, his (ab)use of make-up should have triggered the first flag... LOL