Fly Tying
Hellgrammite

Dry fly durability; dubbed body or quill body?

Good point! colouration of the fly is important and that is limited with quills and biots, dubbins are endless

but if you like the effect ov a quill like me make sure you tye alot ov them as durability is low, or even finely dub the body then rib it with a quill, looks the muts nuts but durability and colouration are higher priority.

tight lines

Good Day,

I have seen it done... apply a small amount of nail polish to the hook shank before wrapping the biot or quill.

Steelie

I LOVE QUILL BODY DRIES!!!!

Maybe I am just more confident when I fish with them, but I catch way more fish on a quill body than I do a dubbed body. I do what Steelie does and put a SLIGHT amount of nail polish on the hook before I wrap it. I wind both ways depending on if I want a rib or not. If I want extra protection I will also counter wrap a small wire on the body as well. I know untraditional on a dry, but it doesn't effect the floatabilty much. I also die my own wild turkey quills for larger dries. Another alternative is deer hair bodies tied like the roberts drake.