Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Horseshoes

Dry on the vise/ Wet off

One thing I am noticing is how different materials change when in the water or out, dry or wet. Pasttimetyers' burlap turns lighter in the water. Actually it seems to have been a different colour in each scenerio.

Breambusters' seth green turned darker in the water. Was that cotton? That would seem to me to make a huge difference if going for a certain accuracy in an imitation.

I have some caddis I will have to get wet and see how it changes when wet. More realistic or not?

I hope some people are benefiting from this. If anyone has noticed a fly or material that changes drastically it would be great to hear or see it. It would explain why when two people who have what appears to be the same fly, yet different materials, have a different success rate. Even in the same area at the same time.

Anyone notice changes?

Well our long weekend is almost over.

Well Flytire here is your zebra soft hackle.

dry - inwater - wet

I will be doing some dries soon and giving the view from underwater in order to see what the fish see sitting the surface, until then.....

Houndog here is yoursoft hackle

dry - inwater - wet

Horseshoes,

Great pictures, your underwater shots of many of the soft hackles and flymphs, show the air bubble many of these patterns create when first submerged. One reason, I prefer fur nymphs, and nymphs with well picked out bodies, is because they trap air bubbles. After a while the flies all get well soaked, and no longer trap air bubbles. When I find a particular nymph that was working, stops getting hits, if I tie on a fresh one, the action will often pick up again on the new fly. I have gotten into the habbit of changing to a new copy of the same fly every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks utyer that ia a great tip. I really appreciate you posting it. :headbang: I like when I first joined when I could see and read about tips. I still do. :yahoo:

Great thread you've started here Horseshoes. :thumbsup: When I tie I'm always trying to look beyond what I'm seeing at the vise and instead imagine how it will look to the fish.

Letumgo, you're ties and photography of them rock! :headbang: Very nice!

John

Thanks JoJoPro I am hoping to put some dries on soon. CDC is amazing in its ability repel water off instantly upon leaving the water. and the different reactions of the materials when wet are very interesting. Looking to the future.

IBRB hereis your leadwing coachman, has a nice thick body for the water to play with.

dry - inwater - wet