Fly Tying
Cole

Barracuda Question

Coming from a knob traveler to a dyna-king is been somewhat of a transition. I like the BK so much more though.

I have a couple of questions on hook set up in the vise. I hear from most guys that you will hear a click when you have enough tension on the hook in the vise. I have been tying 1/0 bass bugs and am having a hard time setting up the vise. It seems like when I have enough tension on the hook (in the second hole in the jaws) I am having a pretty dam hard time lifting the cam into place and getting it to click at all.

I feel like I am going to break the jaws and that is the last thing I want. I am having to brace my hand on the vise when pulling up the cam to get it to the top at the set position and not hearing a click.

Worked with it a little more and I am getting the hook to hold great with not a lot of pressure on the cam, which is know I need to be shooting for. I am still not getting the click, but after thinking about it. The click might come from a lot of things, jaws being built just slightly different, more use of the jaws resulting in a slightly bigger hole for the cam to slide into when in the upright position.

I dont know.

I don't know what you have been told regarding a "click" but if you have proper tension and the hook in the proper slot (assuming is it large enough to need the slots) you should be able to very easily move the cam lever to the locked position and there should be no sound whatsoever. I have been using my Barracuda for years (it is number 805) and the only time I have ever had or heard a "click" is when the hook bend style (a Tiemco R200 is a good example) does not fit the curvature of the bend of the slots. The click is the sound of the hook being forced into the slot and can damage both the hook and the jaws. In such a case you must use the knurled flat portion of the jaws at the front of the hook. But even here the proper tension on the hook will allow very easy closing of the cam lever. If you have to use a lot of pressure or it is difficult to move the cam lever into the lock position you are placing far too much pressure on the hook wire and on the jaws.

Good to know, thank you!

I assumed the click sound was the cam getting into final position.

Good to know, thank you!

I assumed the click sound was the cam getting into final position.

My much newer Barracuda does click when the cam is thrown. If it is silent and the cam lever difficult to throw there is usually too much pressure on the hook. The cam throws easily and not difficult and the click is not the hook repositioning in the jaws, it is coming from the cam lever rolling over the peak position and locking into place. When too much pressure is applied after it rolls over the peak there isn't any slack in the system to hear the click.

It probably has more to do with individual Barracudas, but mine definately clicks into the lock position and is just one indicator that I have the jaws set up properly. If the cam has a lot of pressure that isn't correct. The slots in the jaws take some getting use to if you came from a Renzetti or something else with smooth jaws, but the holding power of the DK Barracuda is superb. Hopefully you have worked out your issue with the vise by now, but just wanted to comment on this somewhat older thread.

My Dyna-King clicks if I have way too much pressure on it. For a 1/0 hook I back off on the pressure and put it in the first slot (closest to the tip), it doesn't take any pressure to hold it in place. For larger hooks I've had a 5/0 mustag 34007 saltwater hook in the rear slot of the vice with no problems and very little pressure.

Ian

I have an Cuda indexer #156 and there is slight thud when closing the jaws which become more apparent when you have the jaws over tensioned, I have the same reaction on my Cuda traveler which is brand spanking new. You feel it more than hear it if that makes sense. Every DK that I've ever seen does the same thing. I think this is a matter of preception, some people notice it some don't.

And yes Bass Bug hooks are the hardest thing to get seated properly in this vise when you first own it. They are very light wire and have a strange bend, you will find the right position.