Fly Tying
bear-kodiak

kodiak or grizzly

Hello List: I just got a new book, and one of the patterns call for a wing of

Kodiak or Grizzly bear under fur. Does anyone know where I might purchase this material ? Thank you in advance for any help....jim

pretty much easier to move to Alaska, get a tag, and shoot one. I've never seen it for sale. I've seen a few grizzly in Alaska, alive and dead up close, and it would seem to me there are plenty of good alternative materials out there.

Any chance you're a USFWS troll checking to see if anyone will bite? :rolleyes:

I recieved my free scrap pieces from a taxidermist in alaska.There is nothing better for translusence in wings. I use mine on hex spinner wings and caddis wings.Brown bear caddis works when other caddis patterns fail. :D Very similar material to snowshoe rabbit but longer and more translusent.

Go to West Yellowstone, MT. Wait behind Strozzi's Bar at 4 am with a pair of scissors, when the grizzly climbs into the dumpster, clip some off his back side. Run like hell. :-)

Cheers Futzer.

Go to West Yellowstone, MT. Wait behind Strozzi's Bar at 4 am with a pair of scissors, when the grizzly climbs into the dumpster, clip some off his back side. Run like hell. :-)

Cheers Futzer.

Sounds like a good idea to me :dunno:

Jan

Cheers Futzer.

jeff, where should i wait if i cant find a bar to wait behind? :rolleyes:

Cheers Futzer.

ROFL! :hyst: Good one Jeff!

Use something else; there are lots of other animals beside bears that have great fur.

I personally tried the bear thing once behind a bar just outside the park and can tell you one thing: You can't run fast enough. As the bear was biting at my rear, I was thinking, "I ain't tyin' nothin' that has bear in it anymore!"

Ray

Cheers Futzer.

jeff, where should i wait if i cant find a bar to wait behind? :rolleyes:

The Bears have heard about all the bald animals in your neighborhood and are scared, very very scared.

Cheers, Jeff.

Also Brian, you are far too young and impressionable for Strozzi's, even just the dumpster. Bear-Kodiak, with a site name like that I bet you already know where to get Bear fur, as it is almost impossible, unless you know a good Taxidermist in Alaska and bribe them for some scraps. I myself in 40 years of tying have never once had any bear fur to use. Not that I was ever looking that hard for any either.

Cheers, Futzer.