Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nu2trout

EP question

Hey Guys,

I finishied up some bait fish patterns this past week, in hopes of some pond fishing for bass. I threw the first cast and BAM, fish on. I was very happy about that, but when I had him in hand and looked at the fly there was an eye missing. Next fish, next eye gone. How do you guys keep your eyes on the EP fiber flies?

Thanks

I use Amazing Goop as well. Just put a very small dollop on the back of the eye or on the fly itself where you want the eye with a toothpick or bodkin and apply the eye to the fly. Make sure to press the eye to the shank of the hook. If a little glue spills out when you push the eye in you can usually just scrape it away with a bodkin. It is pretty thick stuff so unless you use too much it normally won't gush out around the sides of the eye and run down the fly the way epoxy can if you're not careful. You don't need much.

I've had good luck with Fletch Tite, the cement used for fletching arrows. Depending upon how thick you have tied in the hair, y9ou may need to burn a small hole down to the hook shank for the best attachment. As mentioned above, Goop also works great, but I'm pretty messy with it.

I use Amazing Goop as well. Just put a very small dollop on the back of the eye or on the fly itself where you want the eye with a toothpick or bodkin and apply the eye to the fly. Make sure to press the eye to the shank of the hook. If a little glue spills out when you push the eye in you can usually just scrape it away with a bodkin. It is pretty thick stuff so unless you use too much it normally won't gush out around the sides of the eye and run down the fly the way epoxy can if you're not careful. You don't need much.

Usually just take a toothpick & have enough to cover the entire back of the fly eye plus a little more so the GOOP will saturate thru the EP fibers ( then you can pull the EP fibers up to get a fuller baitfish profile & they'll stay there ) to the hook shank & bond with the goop from the other eye. Even too much can be moved onto the very front between the eyes to form a fishes shape, but mostly just have a very thin amount of it inside all around the outside edge of the eye on the fly after pressing them to the hook. A little more will let you move the eyes better to get them lined up, but then you'll have to press the eyes & hold them an extra 30 seconds or minute to get the GOOP to set up. Maybe a good measure would be about as much GOOP as it would take to just fill in the very end of a plastic drinking straw for #3/0 tarpon fly 7.5mm eyes. The GOOP will get thicker every time you open the tube, so to keep it thin & more workable keep the top on. Checked the $$ of arrow fletching glue, so still GOOPing it; even though it seems like it might be better !

thanks guy, I will try to get some of that this week.

I am getting better with my EP and synthetics. I really love tying salt flies!

I also use GOOP; I've had a lot better luck with it than the super glues and there's more room for error. If a little oozes out around the edge of the eye, don't worry about it. The fish will never notice. Also, if you take a flat wooden coffee stirrer or something like that and wrap the tip with some double sided masking tape, you can apply the eyes with it - it's a lot less clumsy than using your fingers. Just lay the eye flat on the table and pick it up with the tape-wrapped end. Then apply the GOOP with a toothpick and press it into place. You can also use a tape-wrapped wrapped round skewer or toothpick, but the flat coffee stirrer seems to work a little better. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. BTW, household GOOP works fine - you don't need Marine GOOP or any of the fancy stuff.

Goop does dry out & get very thick quickly. I put household goop in a small head cement bottle and add a little toluene to it. This makes a great cement also used to cover the heads like epoxy & Softex; but it stays flexible.Try it some time.

Joelst :rolleyes:

I have used Gel super glue for putting my eyes on various synthetic fiber. I find that it is a bit more forgiving. Squirt a little out on the tip of a bodkin then apply it to the back of the eye by rolling the bodkin over the eye and then the eye will stick a bit to the bodkin and then apply the eye with the bubble of glue to the fly. Its tough to describe, but once you start it will be pretty obvious. I got my gel super glue at home depot, 2 tubes for $3.50.

Let the super glue dry before doing the softex dunk.