Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Photography Class Question

Hi Group,

We been asked to teach a 1.5 hour digital photography class to a local group to help them go from the "automatic setting" to better using their digital cameras. We planned on discussing some of the following:

1. making the AUTO setting work for you, composing the shot/filling the frame.

2. working with auto focus

3. apeture/shutter priority and when to use them

4. manual settings/focus

5. simple macro shooting

Do any of you have other ideas we could fit into a 1.5 hour class? Any/all of our thought would be appreciated. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Maybe something on ASA settings and flash? I think flash is important - not just things like red eye - but bouncing flash and fill flash.

A short discussion of lenses would probably be a good idea as well. The effects of using telephoto and wide angle and how to use this as respects depth of field. I presume you're dealing with aperture and depth of field as well. This ties in with focal distance - which you have to talk about for macro photography.

Nice Al! I would cover ISO and shutter speed basics. Cover the histogram and show the importance of using it.

Good stuff. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you guys.

The use of flash, I would say should be in there somewhere and composition. How to make the shot interesting to view, also remind them that a digital photo can always be cropped afterward, but to a limit.

For action shot remind them that the camera moves, follow the action and not wait for it to get in the frame. A good example is photos of car race. People often shoot on spot on the track and get great backgroud, but thae car is not so great. ;)

P.s.: Read your column every time in Fly Tyer. Thanks, it's great stuff.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered Al. An hour and a half isn't much time - I'd probably skip macro. One thing I would mention: the single biggest mistake I see beginners make is that they tend to ignore the need to support the camera in some way when shooting in less-than-optimal light. I usually tell rookies to watch the photographers who cover football and baseball. They're all using tripods or monopods because their livelihoods depend on getting sharp pictures. IS or VR are great aids, but there's still no cure for excessive camera movement. A quick demonstration of bracing the elbows against the torso to keep the camera steady wouldn't hurt either.

Wow Group! Great suggestions, thanks for taking the time to offer advise. We really appreciate it. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Good selection of topics and just the right sequence. I agree with dropping the macro portion, just not enough time. You will likely get a lot of questions about close-ups, sounds like a second class in the making.

Hi group,

The photography class went very well with many positive comments. We have been asked to teach several more, we'll just have to figure out what works best for the group. Their skills vary from "where-is-the-ON-button" to "I-already-know-it-all." Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I created a powerpoint basic photography intro a while ago, I'd be happy to share with you if you are interested

I created a powerpoint basic photography intro a while ago, I'd be happy to share with you if you are interested

Hi jmk,

I'd love to see it, thank you for offering. My email address is below, just send me your email address and I'll forward my mailing address OR we can do an electronic transfer (FTP or ?). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

[email protected]