Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

home made bobbins

Some time back there was a post regarding home made bobbins. I believe Brian had a description of some he made, and someone else put a link to a site with a great step by step. Does anyone know of the topic thread or the link to the step by step?

Thanks in advance, Lykos33

Thanks Ron, the folks at that forum dont believe I am not under 13 and wont let me access that file, aint it great to be "carded" at 45+ ? :hyst:

Here are photos of my homemade bobbins, made from 1/8" threaded rod. I heat the rod with a plumbing torch to bend it. I have experimented with the thread tubes, using copper, brass, and the plastic tubes from ball point pens.

So far the plastic is the one I prefer. If it starts fraying the thread, just cut a little bit of it off or replace it, but I have used one for two spools with no problems. Really wish I could find a source for small ceramic tubes. I use a spring, also from a ballpoint pen, behind the wing nut, to control tension. Put on a drop of lock nut thread locker to keep the wing nut from coming loose. I attach the thread tube with wraps of thread topped with brushed-on super glue. The bobbins work great and are cheap and easy to make. I'd be interested to see what other folks have come up with--mine are still a work in progress.

post-20650-1243085582_thumb.jpg

post-20650-1243085603_thumb.jpg

[Thanks Bryan--I'm really interested in any improvements you might come up with, especially with the thread tube. Please keep me posted.

Bill

Thanks for these pictures m8, was planning on getting a new bobbin, but after seeing this i think i will try making a few of my own, great work :D

Here are photos of my homemade bobbins, made from 1/8" threaded rod. I heat the rod with a plumbing torch to bend it. I have experimented with the thread tubes, using copper, brass, and the plastic tubes from ball point pens.

So far the plastic is the one I prefer. If it starts fraying the thread, just cut a little bit of it off or replace it, but I have used one for two spools with no problems. Really wish I could find a source for small ceramic tubes. I use a spring, also from a ballpoint pen, behind the wing nut, to control tension. Put on a drop of lock nut thread locker to keep the wing nut from coming loose. I attach the thread tube with wraps of thread topped with brushed-on super glue. The bobbins work great and are cheap and easy to make. I'd be interested to see what other folks have come up with--mine are still a work in progress.

Here's a supplier of ceramic tubes, I have not tried them ...yet