Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Shawn Davis

Stonefly Nymphs

Not really meant to be super-realistic, but much more so than my typical fishing fly. Realistic tying is not really my thing - I generally like to keep my fishing flies very simple and reserve my serious bench time for artistic salmon flies. But I felt like making a nice stone for a particularly technical stream near my house, and whipped out these guys in more time than I care to admit. One is on a straight-shank streamer hook, the other is articulated and fishes hookpoint-up. Neither pattern is all that original, the better aspects mainly having been pilfered from Lloyd Gonzales.

My favorite and only original part of the patterns is the wire weave on the abdomen. It allows me to have a different color wire on top and bottom, and also adds little gills to the sides of the abdomen where the weave crisscrosses. More details on the evolution of the pattern may be found on my site in the "What's New" section.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the pattern, though primary results on actual fish have been less than wonderful. Hopefully next winter and spring I get better conditions to test them in.

Please be gentle. Not trying to break any records, here.

-Shawn

post-13095-1242863928_thumb.jpg

post-13095-1242863960_thumb.jpg

post-13095-1242864029_thumb.jpg

Beautiful flies Shawn! Thank you for sharing that original weave.

On the other hand, your SALMON FLIES are just a pleasure for the eyes and the mind. Thank you!

Nicley done Shawn. Don't be too critical on how they preformed on the water . Realistic fishables shine on high pressured waters when the fish have become shy to conventional flies.Keep them like an Ace up your sleeve. I really like the wire weave and the photos are great . What program are you using?

Fred

Now that's a great looking fly, love the detail. :thumbup:

Thanks, guys. My wife takes all the serious photos of my flies. I just pick up the camera and point and click, so any virtue in the images is a credit to the camera, not me. It's a Canon digital with a pretty nice macro lens. Don't know the details - not really my area of expertise.

-Shawn