Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

B&W Awards

So many of you guys have been getting your pictures published lately that I thought I'd better get on the stick if I didn't want to go through life being the only guy I know who isn't famous. I don't do the kind of stuff that you'd ordinarily sell to magazines, so I figured my best shot at publication (short of coming up with a book) was to enter Black and White Magazine's annual portfolio contest and see if the editors at B&W were the kind of cream puffs I could fool without too much of an effort on my part. It turns out that they are, because they gave me a merit award, which is good for a two-page spread in the August special portfolio issue. If you happen to be poking around Borders or Barnes and Noble, check it out for free. (the magazine goes for $13, but browsing doesn't cost a nickel) My wife says she's not worried that the notoriety will go to my head, since I already have a pretty atrocious attitude, and she can't imagine it getting much worse. Still, I'm thinking of demanding a limo for the opening of my next show. (Hey, Paris Hilton gets one and she has even less talent than I do) Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration you guys have supplied the past few years. I've been on a roll lately and if it weren't for all you jokers here at the Photo Corner, I wouldn't even be doing this.

So many of you guys have been getting your pictures published lately that I thought I'd better get on the stick if I didn't want to go through life being the only guy I know who isn't famous. I don't do the kind of stuff that you'd ordinarily sell to magazines, so I figured my best shot at publication (short of coming up with a book) was to enter Black and White Magazine's annual portfolio contest and see if the editors at B&W were the kind of cream puffs I could fool without too much of an effort on my part. It turns out that they are, because they gave me a merit award, which is good for a two-page spread in the August special portfolio issue. If you happen to be poking around Borders or Barnes and Noble, check it out for free. (the magazine goes for $13, but browsing doesn't cost a nickel) My wife says she's not worried that the notoriety will go to my head, since I already have a pretty atrocious attitude, and she can't imagine it getting much worse. Still, I'm thinking of demanding a limo for the opening of my next show. (Hey, Paris Hilton gets one and she has even less talent than I do) Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration you guys have supplied the past few years. I've been on a roll lately and if it weren't for all you jokers here at the Photo Corner, I wouldn't even be doing this.

Congradulations Peter. Make sure you get a free copy and sign it. It will be worth money someday. I'm guessing since it is Augusts issue it won't be out yet? But I will keep a eye out for it and when it comes out I will run around Barnes and Nobles saying "I know this guy!"

Congradulations again.

Jim

Thanks Jim and John.

Jim, you're right about the magazines being worth money some day. If I bundle up 100 pounds of them, they're bound to be worth a couple of bucks at the recycling center. BTW, be careful about telling people you know me. In certain parts of the country, that might guarantee a tapped phone and around-the-clock police surveillance on your house.

Congrats to you Peter thats pretty cool.

Still, I'm thinking of demanding a limo for the opening of my next show. (Hey, Paris Hilton gets one and she has even less talent than I do)

Just don't give us the drawer-less crotch flash as your getting out of the limo like Paris does alright :sick: :D

Steve

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Thanks Steve. Don't worry, I'm not about to parade my shortcomings in public. Besides, I'm always careful to wear leotards whenever I get the urge to do a little cross-dressing.

Thats awesome Peter!!! Just one more famous person I know :) Let me know when it's out and I'll get a copy.

Again, Congrats!!

Thanks Lynn and Ray. Famous? B) Jeez. Now that I think about it, the last thing I want is to become famous. That would mean getting regular haircuts, trimming my beard, hiring a publicist, a manicurist, a fashion consultant and a masseuse, accumulating an entourage of slackers, sucking up to critics, dodging paparazzi, doing lectures, etc., etc., etc. Besides, if I spent the required number of hours admiring myself in the mirror and strutting around with my nose in the air, how the heck would I find the time to tie flies and go fishing? Nah, making pictures and participating in this forum is fun - doing exhibitions and competing for awards is just a job.

Very well deserved Peter! WOOOT. That is way cool. I love B&W Magazine.

CONGRATS! That is a huge accomplishment.

Thanks guys. I finally managed to get my hands on a copy yesterday, and there are some amazing images in there. I'm just happy to be included in that group. I just put some stuff up on our website if anybody'd care to take a peek. I had no idea that B&W was going to publish the link, or I'd have done it sooner. (Yeah, right - I can't remember the last time I did anything without being forced into it. LOL)

http://web.me.com/jacobson.arts/newAAA/home.html

Nice Work Peter ! The artists statement is priceless. Both incredibly funny and profound at the same time. I believe creative artists have to have enough sense of being to turn away from all the crap that people try to put in their heads. There's a million people out there that are perfectly willing to try to convince you that you should do things their way or someone else's way. Photography can be a journey of self discovery. Young photographers will shoot everything and anything. If they keep at it long enough they usually eventually find out that what they shoot best are the things they are most knowledgible about or what they enjoy most. In other words people have to be honest with themselves about who they really are or maybe they have to figure that out as they grow. Thanks for sharing these with us and congratulations ! Truly inspiring work !