Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Isonychia

Frame-filling muskie

I finally got to give the new D90 a decent workout. Went out with a Division of Natural Resources electrofishing crew. They were shocking up muskellunge for a tagging study. Cool, drizzly day on West Virginia's Elk River -- a perfect chance to see what the D90 could do in low light. Set the camera on ISO 400, no flash, standard color rendition. I had to shoot fast because crew members didn't want to overstress the fish.

post-3247-1243697009_thumb.jpg

The highlight of the day came when the crew shocked up this 49-inch muskie.

John

Great shot John, that's one nasty looking fish. Just curious: are they hybrids? I remember Virginia stocking muskies in certain waters when I lived down there years ago, but it seems to me that they couldn't (or wouldn't) breed in the wild for some reason or other.

Peter,

The muskies in West Virginia are native -- or at least mostly so. They were native to the state, in waters such as Middle Island Creek and the Elk, Gauley, Little Kanawha and New rivers.

Biologists say there's a chance some Lake Chautaqua- or Pymatuning Lake-strain muskies got stocked in West Virginia somewhere along the line, but until a complete electrophoresis study confirms that, they're considered to be a native strain.

The only hybrids I know of that have been stocked in state waters are tiger muskies, a cross between a muskellunge and a northern pike. They didn't succeed here, either.

John

Nice Fish and great shot ! I do a lot of Musky fishing in Pennsylvania. I've heard the Tiger Muskies don't reproduce in the wild. They can only be created in a hatchery. I have to wonder what the benefit is of stocking a strain like that. Maybe that's what the fish and game commision wants. A population they can control. I remember reading on the fish and game commision web sites in Pennsylvania where there were both pure strain muskies and tigers stocked in the same body of water. One has to wonder what the benefit is of that. Maybe the fish and game commision just took what was available from the hatcheries at the time.